Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Speeches and Posing Vow Renewal

Scroll to the bottom to read the speeches that Steve and I read to each other that night.
Here is my about $50 Amazon wedding dress. I actually liked it! Minus the wrinkles that I am sure happened due to being shoved in a tiny bag and being shipped all the way from China. And it's against my religion to iron. So...

Me reading my speech to Steve.

And clearing the snot coming from my nose for the fifthteenth time. I was a wee bit emotional, in a good way.

Steve giving his speech to me.

Steve's Speech:
"On our wedding day 20 years ago, we were surrounded by loving family and friends, just as we are today.  We feel honored and blessed to share this special occasion with each of you.  Thank you all for coming, many from so far and at great cost.

Now I will direct my comments to Amanda
Amanda

The light of your love has shined in my life for over 20 years, since the day we met the day after Thanksgiving 1997.  It has grown leaps and bounds, first when we committed to each other in our engagement, on our wedding day, on the days each of our children arrived into our lives, and of course over these many years.  The memory of our first kiss and first holding hands still burns brightly in our minds and hearts.  Your companionship is like that.  It is a warm blanket on a cool, dark night, it is a bright fire that warms my heart and soul, it is a soft voice to welcome me to bed and greet me in the morning. it is a treasure that I continually find over and over again.

When I told you I wanted to be yours forever, you reciprocated, and with courage and smiles, we committed to each other.  Because of this promise, vow, and commitment, we are so blessed to be here today with each of you.  We both knew that it was going to be more difficult, and yet more wonderful than we could imagine.  And, it hasn't disappointed us yet. 

The years come and go, and yet you are here, Amanda.   You have stood by me through the trials and challenges of my life, mental, emotional, and physical.   And, I have been there for you in yours.
We have chosen each other above every one and everything else, and continue to do so every day.  Through tears, laughter, and smiles, I will be there for you and hold you close, always.

My deepest feelings I keep for you and I know you keep yours for me.   Your joys, happiness, and successes are mine, and mine yours. 

Although in many ways opposites when we met, me the geeky (some might say scholarly), timid, anxious one, you the beautiful, confident, fiercely determined one, we have grown together over the years, and adopted the good from each other.

You have taught me to be bold, dream, and not be afraid.  Each year, we become someone different, while still deeply and fiercely in love.  That does not change like the weather.

During the early years of our marriage, we welcomed Celeste, Jonah, Eden, and Becca to our family.  When you said that our family was not complete, I fortunately listened, and now we have Sam, Charity, Hana, and Andy. 
We have taken the path less traveled in life and it has made all the difference.

When I would have been content to sit at home warmed by the hearth and your fire, you have chosen the adventure and reward of the more challenging path.  Being parents is not for sissies.

These days, we often communicate without speaking, and know each others thoughts at a glance.  It is the reward of loving and wanting to be near each other so badly.


The Place Poem
I could open the doors and the windows
to great winds
Let everything be scattered,
like loose sheets of paper
Let tumbling take sense and proportion
from what we have put in order.
That suits us,
but it would not change anything.
You have come in,
and your entrance has been final.
You do not leave me,
nor do I leave you, beloved.
We have made this house our place,
And our shelter.
When we go out, 
we will go out together.  (Ted Enslin)


My Vow to Steven Bishop

"I have officially spent more than half of my life married to you. And I am so excited for all that we have ahead of us.
I consider our coming together as my life's greatest blessing. I remember that for so long after our wedding, I could not sleep at night because I just could not stop staring at you in unbelief that you were mine. I remember the utter bliss we were in those first few months and how I believed that if everyone on the planet could just be in a relationship like the one I had, that filled me with so much joy and love and satisfaction that there would be no problems in this world. But the problems came for us. In our 20 years together we have had incredible challenges. We've been through so much together and through it all, you have had my back. You have loved me unconditionally, taken care of me, taken care of our children, made my happiness your mission, and you have taught me so much & been by my side supporting me as I learned all the important lessons. You did all that with complete dedication, loyalty and always a forgiving and patient heart. I grew up with you. I am still growing up with you. You are the best person I have ever known. You have faults, but yours are the best kind. And the quality in you that I appreciate most is your honesty. You know I don’t handle dishonesty well, and you have always been honest with me and that has allowed me to have a level of trust I had never thought possible. I feel safe in your integrity. 
Thank you for that.

And I have so much more to thank you for. Thanks for our children, and for all the awesome memories we’ve had together. We have a TON of them! But I am most thankful to you for the last couple of years especially. Our relationship has grown so much. And I am so thankful for the way you communicate and how much you do so in an open and productive way. You are such a fabulous partner, parent, friend, supporter, and husband. I am completely and totally in love with you. Now, more than ever.

Tonight I am grateful to be here with you on the other side of all of that we’ve been through. We have learned a lot.  Especially who we are as individuals, and who the other is, and we know who we are as a couple. It is all clear. And the love that we have for each other is perfect. 

And knowing all that, I gratefully and joyously celebrate our 20th anniversary by saying again, I choose you. And I promise you that I will always choose you. And I am excited for what is ahead for us and feel confident it’s only going to keep getting better just as the last 20 years has.

And to our children. I want each of you to know how much we love you, how important each of you are to us, and how proud we are of you, and how your happiness and success will always be our goal. We promise to always love you and to choose you too.

This vow renewal for me, is a re-commitment and promise to you and our children to always love you unconditionally."

Cessie read this to everyone at the start of the ceremony:
"Welcome everyone! My parents have asked me to MC this occasion. They would like me to thank you for being a part of their vow renewal. My parents were married on Friday May 8, 1998 in Los Angeles California. My mom was 19 years old and my dad was 27. Which is how old I am now. I was born 9 months later and the rest of the kids quickly followed. My parents wanted to do something special to celebrate their first 20 years together that involved their children and loved ones.
So what we are going to do is each of the kids, from youngest to oldest, are going to stand up and say some things that they wanted to share. Then my parents each will share their vows. 
After that, Charity and her partner Payton, will be performing a little dance for you.
Then we will disperse and have dessert and mingling and a dance party in here. 
Please make yourselves at home while you’re here!
And now, Sam..."

No comments: