Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Marathon Update

Deep breath. Here comes a very long post.
Andy and Hana have been here for 4 whole weeks now! Things feel so normal now that I guess I don't feel as much of a need to blog. Hope this isn't boring for you all. Things are going great and there is a lot happening, but it isn't so new anymore.
I will go with a few topics to talk about here in regards to our family.

First: Religion.
That week in Ethiopia with the kids when Steve went to pick them up to go home, he was able to take them to church. He also had them meet with the missionaries there four times and the kids were able to have lessons each time with the missionaries to learn the Gospel in their language. It went really well and the kids liked learning about our religion. They were already Christians. They both knew and loved Jesus and have been taught these things since they were young. Since they've been home, the kids have been to church with us each Sunday. They have watched over and over again, by their own choosing, DVD's called "The Lamb of God" and "Joy to the World"; both movies about Christ. I've caught Andy reading his Amharic scriptures on his own. They have participated in our Family Home Evening Lessons and love looking at the picture books about scripture stories and learning about those. They pray with us as a family each day and at meals. They say their own sweet personal prayers each night as I tuck them in bed. They've also met with the missionaries here and will continue to do so for at least a few more weeks. They understand the lessons and are full of faith and belief. Such special kids. We have an Amharic translator that has offered to translate for the lessons for us to make sure the kids are fully understanding what is being taught. She does a fantastic job. We asked the children if they want to be baptized and they both emphatically said they did. Unfortunately, Hana cannot be baptized yet and she is pretty upset about it. (I will leave a comment in this post about why if you are not a member and are curious.) We've told Hana that she must be 8 years old first in order to be baptized. Since then she keeps insisting that she is not 5. She's 7 and her birthday is soon she says. Which is too funny. We've set a date for Andy's baptism and we are all so excited, including Andy! It will be at our church on July 16th. All interested are invited.
We've also set a date for our family to go to the temple and be sealed. (Explanation of this too in the comment if you are not a member and are wondering about this as well.) All of our children will be there and it will be so very special. We have our sealing scheduled for August 2nd. Of course we'd love to have family and friends at this as well. So let me know if you need more info. We can't wait!

Language
The kid's English is coming along quickly. They understand more and more English each day and it seems they say new things in English each day too. Kids are so smart at learning languages quickly and Andy and Hana are no exception. I'd say Andy understands more and says more than Hana though. He's a pretty sharp kid. He will even translate for us sometimes when we need him to explain something more complicated to Hana that we can't get across to her. Which has been very helpful at times.
We know a few people that speak both Amharic and English as well, and they have helped us a few times to explain to the kids things that we needed. Just yesterday I had to call one of these people to ask if they could explain to Andy and Hana that I needed them to poop in a dish for me so that I can take a sample of it to be tested. This was requested by their pediatrician. I was at a loss as to how I was gonna explain this one to them. I tried to at first in English and they understood what I wanted them to do and they were horrified. They had no idea as to why in the world I would want their poop! So it was nice to have someone explain it to them for me.
Another translator was nice enough the other day to give them a lesson on proper bathroom procedures in Amharic. They really needed that!

Our other kids
They are all doing so well. Everyone in the family is very use to the way things are and seem quite happy with it. Celeste and Eden didn't start sharing a room until Hana and Andy got here and they are getting along so much better than they use to. I love seeing their relationship get strong. Jonah and Andy get along great too. They fight like normal siblings do now, but they are buddies too. Becca and Hana are little buddies as well and rarely argue or fight with each other. And Charity, well, she's just as adorable and enjoyable as ever. She'll have a little buddy of her own as well before too long which will be so good when the kids all go back to school. I can't wait for that baby to get here! Being pregnant is no fun.

Other stuff
Now after all that long commentary, I will include some of the more fun stuff. Photos and video. We've done a lot of family activities so far this Summer. I get a little stir crazy if I have to stay in the house all day with 7 kids. So we usually go out each day and do something. I don't have photos of everything, but here are some. One thing that they've done for the first time was go to the movies. The first one we saw was How To Train Your Dragon. They loved the movies. I took them to another one the other day too. It was Despicable Me. I enjoy watching them watch and giggle.

Here are the kids at some local carnival type event, I guess you could say. They enjoyed cotton candy and snow cones.



This is at the Dentist. Hana had to be put to sleep to get a bunch of stuff done. Charity was feeling a little sorry and concerned for her sister and snuggled up to her.
We took the kids to a farm nearby. They all got to ride ponies.
They had chickens at this farm and Hana went nuts. She loves chicken! She asks to eat chicken all the time. She wanted to eat the live chickens at the farm. She'll say over and over again "Mom! Chicken!?, Mom! Chicken?!" As in "Can I have chicken?"




We've taken the kids to Ikea a couple of times just to eat. The meals are cheaper than McDonalds, and better. They like going out to eat and they like the cafeteria style. We get a lot of stares, but are getting use to it.
Hana and Andy had their first Chuck E. Cheeses experience the other day with some cousins. They had a blast. Many of their tokens were used on taking photos. They are all proudly taped on their bedroom walls now. I love these pictures so much! I wanted to include some of my favorites.




Most of my favorites were Celeste's photos. So that is why she's in most of them.

I know there have been some people that cannot view the videos I have put up before because of the format they were in. So I started a YouTube channel called AmandaBishopAndFam so that I can upload those here and all can view.



How's that for an update?

7 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Explanation of baptism:
In our church, we don't baptize children until they have at least reached the age of eight.  Prior to that, we believe that children are perfect and not held accountable for their actions.  Eight is also considered a good age for children to be able to understand the Gospel and understand the commitment and sacred nature of being baptized. 

Explanation on "sealing":
We believe that families can be together forever.  For all eternity.  In order to enjoy this blessing though members need to live to a certain level of worthiness and go to a temple where this ordinance is performed.  They call it a "sealing" because families or couples are referred to being "sealed" together for all eternity.  Bound together. When a couple is married in a temple, their children are considered to be born in this covenant.  They will be together as a family forever as long as they live worthily.  But when you adopt, in order for your adoptive children to enjoy the same blessings, they need to come to the temple with you to have this ordinance performed. 
When we have Hana and Andy sealed to us, they allow all of our biological children to be there as well to be a part of this special event.

Robyn said...

That was a great update. I'm so happy that Andy and Hana are doing well in their new life. Hugs to you all!

Dalana and Mark said...

That was a terrific update, thanks! We're so glad that everything seems to be going so well. We would love to be there for the sealing! I'll have to talk to Mark more about it. It will be nice to meet Hana and Andy and to see all of you soon at the reunion.

Cristin said...

I love the updates! I especially love those pictures. soooo cute!

I'm so glad things are going so well!

Jen said...

Amanda, I loved this post! I loved all the great updates, pictures, and videos! So great! I am so sorry that I never got back to you yesterday when you texted me. It was a busy day and I just never got a moment to text back. Today has been so busy too. I am sorry Amanda! I would love to get together soon with you though. I feel bad that I am going to miss Andy's baptism. I can for sure come to the sealing though, if you are good with that. I wouldn't want to miss it! So neat! I am seriously so happy for you all! Glad that things are going so smoothly. I saw your cute Hana, Celeste, and Becca today. I love your kids. When you have your next doctor's appt. please call me to help watch kids. Any time you need a break, drop them off. Maybe this week we can meet up to go swimming too. Anyway, sorry for this LONG comment! I just wanted to make sure I got back to you while I was thinking of it. I love you and miss you! Talk to you soon!--- Jen Tate

Emily said...

What a great post!!! I loved every bit of it. And, those videos were hilarious. I love how Hana is hitting Eden in the butt with the stick to get her to go. So cute!!

Kam said...

What a sweet update! I love all the fun pics from Chuck-e-cheese. Darling!! And it's great to hear all the neat things your family has been doing. We're looking forward to seeing all of you at the reunion in a couple of weeks.