Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Eden's Bday, Girls Camp, and Father's Day

It was Eden's birthday yesterday. Ten years old. I can't believe it. So cliche but so true.
Eden is such a great kid. She has the best personality and we completely enjoy it. She had a great birthday. Per tradition she had a nice date with me. She made a list of the places she wanted to go. We went to the Temple, the plant nursery where she finally got to buy the bleeding heart plant she's been wanting, we went to Target to spend her birthday money, then to get some ice cream. For dinner she chose the oriental salad and rolls I make. And we ate them on the nice dishes rather than the paper plates I've been depending on for the last couple of weeks. We love this girl so much! Anybody that knows her well, knows what a joy she is.

Yesterday Celeste also left for Girls Camp. I hated having her go without me! She was so excited, it was ridiculous. She was supposed to show up at the church at 6am. I set my alarm for 5:15 am so that I could wake her up to get ready to go. When my alarm went off, I went down to the basement and she was gone. I searched the house and she was gone. I had visions of Elizabeth Smart in my mind before I realized she was probably so excited she already got up and went to the church. I walked down there. There were no cars there, no people, the church was locked up and no lights on. Then, outside on the bench in the pavilion was a little girl, all by herself. Yep, it was Celeste. I brought her back home chiding her for leaving without letting me know or even saying goodbye. She said she was sorry, but was just too excited and couldn't wait and didn't want to wake anybody. She said she went in all the kids rooms and kissed them all goodbye, but that she didn't want to wake Dad and I. She left us all a note though. I gotta include what she wrote here because it was just so cute. I'll leave the grammar and spelling as she had it, but I'll have to add a little of my own explanations for a couple of parts.

Here's her note:
"Rush, rush, rush for me earlier. Wish I could've given you a more ample goodbye. Be nice to mom, dad and Hayden, ((Hayden babysat for me while I took Eden on her date)), and not the destructors you sometimes seem to be. Try to explain absence 2 Hana & Andualem and that'll be back soon enough. Watishallow & Chow ((that's "I love you" and "goodbye" in Amharic)) to you all!!! Don't destroy the home, and particularly be easy on mom, it's hard enough with her pregnancy. Wish Eden a happy birthday a million times from me. Give Dad a kiss, keep Jonah learning like the smart guy he is, and tell Becca I love her dearly. Same to Eden, and my other sibs. Prevent Andualem from using the microwave and let Hana messa ((that's "kiss" in Amharic)) you all she wants. I love you all and don't be brats!
Sincerely, ME (your sister, Celeste OUH!)

Sunday as you all know was Father's Day. And I can't help but want to say just a few words to my Dad and husband. My Dad was awesome to me growing up. I remember him always being the one to wake me in the mornings and get me off to school. He always treated me with pride and he always made me feel special. He was a fantastic father and I'm grateful to him for it!
My husband is another fantastic father. I'm not just madly in love with him for the husband he is, but for the father he is. He's definitely been my partner in parenting and I know I couldn't raise these children without him. Thanks Dad. Thanks Steve.

3 comments:

Wilkes Mission said...

Amanda, I love this note! WOW! She's amazing and you have certainly raised a responsible and conscientious daughter. I am so impressed. I want you to know how much I admire your journal and blogging commitments. I know that I benefit.....and you are surely passing on great wisdom and insight, not to forget: memories to all of your posterity. Love you, ~Connie

Wilkes Mission said...

Don't know why that said it was from Heather....ha ha.

Markie23 said...

Celeste's letter filled me with ample joy. It sounded like she was going off to war. I think there's an adult woman living inside your little girls body.