Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Peculiar Behaviors

Our new kids have displayed a few funny little behaviors that I thought might be worth mentioning. These are the first few that come to mind.

1- Everything to them is community property. For instance, we'll be at the park and they will just take someone's bike. It makes sense that they act this way because in the orphanage what little possessions the children had, were everyone's. Down to underwear. But they are quickly learning that American's are quite possessive of what is theirs. Even toddlers learn the word "mine!" early on.

2- Hana loves the sink. She'll go in the bathroom often and turn on the water and kind of bathe herself as best she can with the sink. It's kind of comical and definitely messy. I just keep a towel on the floor at all times now.

3- They don't know where to put things. Garbage especially. I remember at the orphanage when we were visiting, that there was no garbage can in sight and when we brought in candy, nobody seemed to know what to do with the wrappers, so everyone just tossed them on the ground. I don't think they had a garbage service there and I don't think they really needed it because they didn't create much anyhow. Hana also will eat with silverware and then put it back in the drawer. The dishwasher is another intriguing thing to her too. I think she thinks it's just another place to store dishes.

4- Now that they've overcome their aversion to American food, they can't stop eating it. They go in the kitchen all the time and want to take anything out of the fridge and try it. Sauce packets, yogurt, jelly, whatever. I am sure they have never in their life been in a place where food is plentiful and readily available whenever they wanted. Plus, they also seem to want to try everything out now. I was outside with Charity, Becca, Eden and Hana playing, when Celeste comes out to tell me that Andy tried to cook a Cup 'o Noodles in the microwave. I came inside and the house was smoky and the smell was nasty. Here's a video of what I saw. Andy was kind of hidden in the corner looking at something; maybe worried he might get in trouble. But we all found it rather funny.

8 comments:

Emily said...

How long did he cook that thing for?! That is so funny. At least he figured out how the microwave works. Since he can't read the cooking instructions on anything it's gonna be trial and error, huh?

Anonymous said...

funny thats how my kids like their instant mac n cheese and cup o noodles..burnt

ErinGrover said...

Amanda, I am always so excited to read another one of your posts. I open up the window and set it aside for a time when I can cry. I get very emotional reading about your adoption as well as your sisters. At one point I wanted to load up the kids in the van and drive down to say hi and chat in person because it has been so long. I wish there was some way in this world that I could grow up to be like you. You are such an amazing wife, Mom, friend and woman! I have always looked up to you as an example even back when I was babysitting 3 year old Celeste and you and Steve would go on dates on almost a weekly basis because keeping up your relationship was so important. I really do want to grow up to be like you!

Dalana and Mark said...

Cooper told me about Hana's liking to sinks and water. Cute! I bet you're going to be so grateful to have all of these things documented. I've really enjoyed all of these posts. Thanks for taking the time to share them w/ us.

Cristin said...

hahaha oopsy on the cup o' noodles. I love it. I'm sure there are going to be daily stories for a while. I can't imagine coming from where they were to your home. I can imagine that it's fascinating to them.

Jen said...

So fun to read!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

I have loved coming here to read and be a part of all these fun new things for your family with Hana and Andy! Sounds like you guys are having a healthy amount of fun and love at your house!!

Kam said...

How interesting... the things I never would have imagined, the things I take for granted... and yet their "firsts" are so important to them. The cup o' noodles story was funny, though I couldn't get the vid to load for some reason.