Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Happy Times

I took Hana and Andy to the dentist yesterday. Wanna know what happens if your kids went their entire lives with poor nutrition and absolutely no dental hygiene? You will make a dentist very rich. In fact, I am almost sure I could see the dollar signs in the dentist's eyes as he looked these kids over. Some of their teeth were not just infected and beyond saving, but others were literally rotted away to little nubs. Considering the mess that is in their mouths, the dentist and his assistant were surprised, as was I, that they were so stinkin happy there as they took x-rays, cleaned and examined these kids. They didn't seem to care about any pain.
Andy and Hana discovered our old family photo albums today and got such a kick out of looking at their family from years past.
Hana had her first experience with the Ice Cream man. The girls all enjoyed their wares.
Now, here are a few more videos for you. One of the ice cream truck experience, one of the photo albums being enjoyed, and one of Andy giggling in the dentist's chair.

We have been totally taken by surprise to see Andy become a completely different child than we had ever seen him while we were in Ethiopia or the first couple of days home. He is happy. Not just happy, he even gets giddy and just giggles and giggles. He's still shy around other people and still not too excited about the camera, but I've been able to catch him on video a few times giggling now. Like I said before, this kid was in the orphanage for a few years before he started to act semi-happy and smile. So it brings us incredible joy to see him after just a few days here, really coming out of his shell and really enjoying life. You have no idea!

4 comments:

Emily said...

This made my day. I can't get over how incredible those children are. I'm seriously just in awe.

Kam said...

They are so cute! I love the picture of all the girls together, eating their ice cream... it puts into perspective just how little Hana is. In the pics by herself, she seems older. She's a doll... they both look so happy! And oh my!! I BET your dentist was THRILLED. hmm.

Jen said...

It was so great to see the videos! I love them! I can't wait to get together with you guys sometime and meet the kids! I feel bad that they have a lot of dental work ahead of them! I hope it wont be too bad! Glad to see them so happy! Special kids for sure!

LaNae said...

Amanda, we've been out of town and I'm so happy to be able to read about your first week. I would see the flashes on facebook during the week, but didn't have the time to read each post. Thank you for sharing with us.

Gage said that he played "swords" with Andy today (I hope that was o.k.? - swords, I mean) and that they had a fun time!

I'm glad that your family is finally all together! Let me know if you need anything, an egg, sugar, spaghetti sauce, anything!!!