Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

More info, photos and even video

I wanted to include these beautiful photos of our Celeste at the temple first.
She is an amazing young woman, and we are so proud of all her unique and special gifts.
Hana and her cousin Allie at the bounce house.
Cute Eden.
Videos of Andy at his first soccer practice. He played soccer at the orphanage with the other boys and is pretty good. When we asked his brother his wishes for Andy, being a soccer player was one of them. We told him we would do that. None of our other kids have been into sports so this is new to us. It's gonna be fun.

Now to answer your questions.
What is their favorite thing about America so far?
I'm not sure. They seem happy with everything. I think they appeared the most excited about the bounce house place. We know about Andy's history and the trauma he has experienced in his life, and we know that it took him a few years of being at the orphanage before he adjusted and would smile and relax from what we've been told. It seems apparent that here in our home with our family he feels secure, comfortable, safe, content and happy. So that is really super nice. That could possibly be his favorite part. I think Hana is pretty happy and excited about everything.

What are they eating?
I have made them Ethiopian food a couple of times and they really like that. The first couple of days they were apprehensive about our American food which is so different from what they are used to. They didn't want to try fruit and some other things. But Monday they were eating and trying things and Tuesday they ate everything I put in front of them. They like fruit now, they like potatoes, cereal, ice cream, granola bars, eggs, and so on. They are good eaters!

What do the kids like to do together at home?
They run around, play outside, play with any toys they see inside, TV, computer, coloring, pretty much anything. The kitchen stays active with frequent snackers too. Andy and Hana are comfortable going in the fridge or pantry now and grabbing snacks or drinks for themselves. They don't ever seem bored so far. Unlike my bio kids who bore easily. I am sure the time will come that Andy and Hana will get bored too. For now it's all new and all great.

How is their English and communication going?
They speak very little of it. They saw quite a bit of American TV in the orphanage and they had English lessons the last few months. I think they understand quite a bit because I can ask them any question I need to and get the reaction or response I need. I think much of it may be them feeling self-conscious with it because our English is much more advanced. If someone outside of our family is there or asks them something though, they will not respond. Andy called me "mom" for the first time yesterday which took me by surprise. But I liked it. They will say any of the other kid's names frequently and also "yes", "no", "come on", and a few others. Andy was even caught saying "shut up!" once. My kids swear he didn't learn it from them. I think they will pick up English quickly. Fortunately for now, there isn't any evidence of anyone in the family getting frustrated over the lack of complete communication.

How's my pregnancy going?
Pretty good. My last doctors visit and ultrasound went well. The baby and everything in there with him looked perfect I was told. My odds of losing the baby the doc said was now 50/50. But that is only with my history, not because of anything irregular they are currently seeing. The baby moves a lot and we're all getting anxious for him to get here. I'm not due until September though. I feel like crud most of the time, but that comes with the territory. We feel positive about him making it here safely now and I personally can't wait to be done being pregnant and to have a sweet little baby in my arms!

12 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm so relieved that Hana and Andy are finally with you and are adjusting well. It must be a big culture shock for them. I know that your loving family will help make the transition smooth for them. I'm so happy for all of you!

Samantha said...

So cool to see how they are adapting to their new lives. They are so cute!! Andy does look like he's going to be a pretty good soccer player. Keep the posts coming!!

mitzi said...

In one of my elementary ed classes last semester we talked a lot about kids whose 2nd language is English. One thing that I particularly remember is the comment that if we look at language development, there is a time period of silence--when kids are taking in everything they hear, but not necessarily speaking. In such a loving environment, I'm sure that they will develop their language skills quickly. It sounds like Hana and Andy are doing very well. What a fantastic adventure!

Emily said...

I loved this post!! I love hearing all about Hana and Andy and how everyone is adjusting. I can't get enough. And, I'd say you've got a star soccer player on your hands!

Keep the pictures and posts coming!

Anonymous said...

Not bored yet. As a mom to over 100 exchange students from 19 different countries, let me assure you that the silence is totally because they are listening right now. Give it about 2 weeks, then they will feel much more comfortable with their skills. I love how well everybody is getting along! Amanda, you are now in the "honey-moon" phase, and after about 2 - 3 months, Andy and Hana will start getting bored with all of the newness and will become just like your bio kids. Enjoy this time with them, when Samuel arrives, they will be just so excited and you'll be totally worn out. I've learned sooooooo much over the past 11 years of hosting kids, and believe me when I say, do NOT bend over backwards cooking foods they are used to, because they really do want to feel like they belong here and they want what your bio kids want...just lots of love; and I know you've got that covered.

Jeanna

Andrea's Mom said...

I agree with the other "commenters"...
the language process is: ~Listening, Speaking, Reading, and then Writing...

be patient...as you already are...

I love your blog updates. What an INCREDIBLE story you have to tell.

love, Becky

Jen said...

Awesome! That's all I have to say! :) --- Jen Tate

Pearl Girl said...

I am not really family but I am still glad you are sharing every little bit with us. I have wondered so much about how it was going. and what it must be like to be them. I love reading this. Thanks Amanda and Congratulations again. You guyus are amazing!

ManicMandee said...

Thanks for all of your comments!

Jeanna- Good to hear from you! We have been well aware that this is the honeymoon period. We had to take many hours of training before we were permitted to adopt internationally. And the education was ALL about all the difficult things that could happen. Nothing positive. So it was enough to get us feeling nervous, and opened our eyes to the point where I think I was expecting it to be really hard right away. It has been so wonderful though and I realize that it could go downhill at any moment and I am prepared for that. But for now, I am trying to enjoy this as much as I possibly can. And as far as the Ethiopian food goes...It is incredible that you took in over 100 exchange students! Wow! This is a different situation though. Exchange students come here for a temporary experience of America. We were taught and even agreed to with the Ethiopian government in the course of this adoption to embrace their heritage and to do our best to not stamp it out of them. Cooking them Ethiopian food on occasion really is a small sacrifice considering these children both watched their parents suffer and die before their eyes, have been in starvation mode, and extreme poverty most of their lives.

Cristin said...

I love hearing how everything is going. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I love it.

Swasey family said...

Oh Amanda.. I LOVE that u r posting every step of the way!How amazing all of this is to me!!!

Kam said...

Yay!! I'm finally having a chance to sit down and read all your fun posts and look at these darling pictures. Thank you for sharing so much. They are so darling... ALL of them. It makes me really miss you all, just seeing these picts. I'm also really glad to hear an update about your pregnancy. I'm so glad things are going well, and I think you're such a trouper -- all you're doing while you feel preggo-crummy!\

Thanks for sharing. love you guys.