Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

LA

Steve and I had a fantastic weekend getaway.  We flew into LA Thursday morning and drove over to Long Beach to hang out with my brother Andy.  He showed us around his aparatment and Long Beach. Later we drove to Hollywood to try and see the Jimmy Kimmel show.  We were at the start of the standby line.  They told us initially we should be getting in, so we happily waited.  Jim Carrey was to be the guest. While we waited I was asked to have my head shaved.  And if I was willing to shave my head, I would be on the show, because Jim Carrey would be shaving it.  I immediately said No way!  We waited almost two hours and were disappointed when they said we wouldn't be making it in.  They still hadn't found a woman at that time willing to shave her head.  Steve was so disappointed we didn't get in that I told him I'd volunteer if that made him happy.  He said it wouldn't.  So we left and walked around Hollywood Blvd.  We had a yummy dinner.  As we were walking back we actually saw Jim Carrey with the recently shaved woman posing for photos.  
That could have been me.  I don't regret my decision.
After that, we drove up to Griffith Observatory.  What a great view of LA.
That night we stayed at the Queen Mary in Long Beach.  It was an actual cruise ship that had a great deal of historical significance.  It is now a hotel on water that does not leave port.  It was a cool place.
That afternoon we met up with Sherod, Emily and their friend Sandee.  We had lunch, then headed to the hotel we were going to stay in that night.  The race expo was there.  I love this photo of Sherod.
Early in the morning Emily, Sandee and I went to the marathon.  The bus ride up the canyon was an hour ride.  I realized on the bus I did not have my phone.  I was so upset!  A 26 mile race with no running app or music seemed like too big of a blow.  
So I ran with Sandee the whole race.  She was the perfect running partner!  So it worked out.  I finished in 4:28.  It was a tough race!!!!  The decent was about 5,000 feet and was painful.  But it was gorgeous and the weather was perfect.
I was happy with how it went and very excited because it qualified me to be a marathon maniac because I had done 3 marathons in 64 days.  I was excited for that!
Tim stayed with the kids and took them to the Museum of Natural Curiosity.  He's the best uncle.
After resting and showering we went out to eat in downtown LA and saw a show at Groundlings.  It was a comedy show and we laughed ourselves to tears.  It was a wonderful trip!

1 comment:

Shed said...

It was so fun to see you guys. Great weekend!