Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Surgery

On Tuesday I had my right knee operated on again. This was my third operation on it. It has been giving me a lot of grief for a very long time. I have been anxious to get it fixed again but my shoulder had to be done first. The doctor said that he didn't want to fix my knee with an unstable shoulder. I needed to be able to use crutches. At my last follow up appointment for my shoulder the doctor finally felt I was ready. 
So this surgery was intended to remove my old hardware, remove a cyst, remove my non-functioning ACL, and to reconstruct my bones. It ended up being more invasive than I anticipated. I ended up with five incisions, two of which are fairly large. The recovery has been tough. The plan is to get another surgery on my knee in four months if the bone grafts took well. In that surgery I will get a new ACL. So I have a long recovery ahead of me. I have no ACL right now and so the next four months I have to be super careful. I am worried about that. After the next surgery I have to wait a year to dance or run again. It is hard for me to even think about. But I do feel it is really needed. I hope it all works out for the best.

1 comment:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Oh Amanda! I can't imagine how hard that must be for an active lady like you, but we will keep you in our prayers that you will find a way to make that long wait bearable. So glad you have so much awesome help!!