Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2020

If My Life Were a Textbook To My Children


Introduction

This morning Steve shared an interesting article with me that I quickly devoured. The author explained an idea of life being a series of experiences that can be labeled as “Chapters”. Each of these Chapters have an important lesson to be learned.
It got me wondering if my life had chapters, what would the chapter headings be called? Keeping in mind that the purpose behind these chapters is that a lesson is to be learned from them; what would they be?
For me it takes very little time for those headings to surface in my mind. It is less than clear for me the order of the chapters because these chapters have overlapping time frames. The lessons that broke through a fog of confusion to a light of understanding, dissipated over varying periods of time. Some chapters I am sure would be very long. Some would be brief. But all would carry within them a lesson/s that left an indelible mark on my mind and heart.
I have seen the way my family, (meaning my children, Steve and I), has valued this blog. My children appreciate seeing their lives being filed away like a carefully organized cabinet of memories. Even if digital.
Steve and I have had discussions about what words we want to leave behind in this carefully organized cabinet lately. We had already decided on one chapter that must be shared. Mainly because it will not only help our children better understand our experience, but because it will enable us to close the chapter and move on.
Now I think I have clarity on these chapter headings up to this point in my life. I expect more will come in the future.
Here they are.

If My Life Were a Textbook to My Children
Chapters:
1- What I learned from Mormonism and leaving it
2- What I learned from adopting children
3- What I learned from addiction
4- What I learned from my marriage
5- What I learned from parenting
6- What I’ve learned from mental illness and grief
7- What I’ve learned from my body about health
8- What I’ve learned about learning

****
Chapter 1. Coming Soon. Here.

No comments: