Pages

Friday, June 25, 2021

My most influential dance teachers

Martha Knight taught me from the time I was 10-12 years old, at Bakersfield Ballet Theatre. It was my first dance studio experience and I really really enjoyed it and worked very hard. Martha taught me so much more than just ballet. She taught me how to create a ballet show. How to design the set, and costumes, choreography, etc. She even helped some of us earn a little Bakersfield College Fine Arts credit for creating our own mock ballets, with the design submissions we made. My ballet was "Princess and the Pea". 

Next I had Sanford Smith, who was just so soooo much fun to take classes from. He really was motivating and energetic and funny. I just adored him.
Today we are still in touch, and Sanford is now Afrika America. And I love seeing all she is up to these days.
And then there is Cindy Trueblood who was Sanford's boss, and the owner of my second dance studio, Civic Dance Center. This is where I danced through Junior High and High Schools. It was my favorite part of my childhood. Cindy is also who began teaching me how to be a dance teacher, and allowed me my first taste of teaching. 
And now I am about to start up work at my new job for Cindy at Civic! I am super excited!

No comments: