Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

California Break

We had a wonderful Spring Break!!! I only wish it weren't over!
On Saturday (3rd) we left home and drove straight through to San Jose. With having to stop and use chains with snow, it took us 15 hours to get there.
We listened to Conference in the car and I really enjoyed the morning session the most.
On Sunday we just chilled in the hotel room most of the day and watched Conference. It didn't feel much like Easter but the Easter Bunny did manage to find the kids while we were there. Our hotel was so nice!
On Monday Steve went to work there in San Jose while the kids and I got to go to Apple and have lunch with Sam, Michelle and Meghan. Apple's cafeteria was pretty darn impressive and being with Uncle Sam and his family was even better.
After that, Michelle, Meghan and the kids and I went to the Egyptian Museum. We were pretty impressed with this museum. It had stuff I never imagined they could have acquired. And it was fun to see things that went along with what we've been learning about in homeschool.
The grounds were very nice too.


It wasn't the warmest of weather, but still nice and warm enough for the kids to brave the outdoor pool a couple of times.


On Tuesday the kids and I headed to San Francisco and met up with Steve's boss' wife and their baby. She is such a super nice person and their baby is adorable! She showed us around and it was just a perfect day.
We went to the Legion of honor, which is an incredible art museum. INCREDIBLE.


The grounds there were pretty spectacular as well.
After that we hiked around Golden Gate Park which was also gorgeous. We went through the Botanical Gardens as well.

I noticed too late that the kids and I were getting too much sun and no sunscreen. I improvised with this little turban (aka burp cloth) for Charity. Too cute.
We then headed over to the beach for a bit. The kids love the beach. It was pretty windy though.


On Wednesday I took the kids to Great America amusement park. (Steve worked all day Monday through Thursday.)




Going to an amusement park with 5 children and only one adult can be kind of tricky, but it actually went as perfect as possible. I got a nice little tan.




The kids wanted to dry out after a water attraction soaked them. I got a kick out of watching them come up with this solution.
On Thursday it seemed I spent half the day getting the hotel room put back together and us all packed up to head to Bakersfield. I then took the kids to see "How to Train a Dragon" which they really enjoyed. We walked around the entire Great Mall and spent no money shopping! Then we picked Steve up from work and drove home to Bakersfield.
^^Charity Gene with her Grandma Gene.
We spent the next couple of days enjoying my parents, siblings, niece and nephews and grandparents, and taking hardly any photos. But it was a great time!

We arrived home late last night and are back to reality. It was good while it lasted.

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks SUPER fun! I want to go to that amusement park. I think Charity and Grandma Gene kind of look alike such a cute pic. I still want to do a night out!

Elizabeth Bailey Waite said...

I loved your pics. I sure loved your visit and am glad you made it home safely.

Amber Waite said...

It was fun getting to see you! My kids had a blast hanging out with the cousins. I only wish we hadn't been so busy :( We were bummed we missed saying goodbye but our weddings turned out really nice.

Charlotte said...

Looks like a fun vacation. I love the note on one of your child's arms about calling mom's cell. That is awesome!

Anna B said...

It looks like you guys had a really good time. Weren't you guys running a race in Bako??

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Looks like tons of fun! You guys really know how to see different places - you went and visited a ton of different and cool museums and parks!

Jen said...

OH you with the writing your cell phone on the kids arms!!! GENIOUS! This is why we are friends, Amanda. I need to learn from you. I love you so much!

Emily said...

Looks like you had a blast! You packed it full of so much fun stuff! I wish I could have seen you though :(

BTW, did you run a race?

ManicMandee said...

We ended up not running the race because of unforeseen events. But Steve and I did run our own little 10k together on Saturday.

Unknown said...

How fun! I loved the "sun hat" you made for Charity! Brilliant! So glad you got to get away. You deserved a break!

ShelBailey said...

It was great to see you guys!

Hot Pants said...

I want to go on one of your trips. Always looks so fun!

Hot Pants said...

BTW, your kids dry out the same way my mom would always make us dry out. All my friends would have these plush nice towels, and I'd be laying on the hot sidewalk.

mitzi said...

Looks like a wonderful WARM time! So fun to get out and bask in the sun!

Dalana and Mark said...

That's pretty neat that you guys got to do so many fun things. You're an awesome mom! Mark and I couldn't believe how much older your kids are looking, especially Eden. She's looking more similar to Celest as she gets older, I think. Charity is getting so big and looking so cute these days. That picture with her great-grandma Gene will be a keepsake, that's for sure. Before my Uncle moved my grandma up to Calif. I was sure to take a pic of each of them w/ her. She's their last living great grandparent on every side. Sad! Glad you guys had such a good time!

Teresa Johnson said...

So fun! Love the pics! Looks like y'all had a blast! You are one brave woman to venture out alone with 5 kids! I can barely handle 3. Oh and you look great!

E said...

Lovely weather! Glad you had a fun spring break. Loved seeing all the pictures. Did you get a new camera?