Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Adoption & Education Update

Here's a bit of an update on a couple things I hear people ask me about most often.

Our Adoption
Well, we've submitted our Home Study and Dossier to our agency and are kind of waiting to see how fast they can do their part. Getting our Home Study done took 7 months! Totally not what we expected. The Home Study wasn't that much trouble for us. We got the agency the list of documents they wanted then waited around for them forever to get it done. Getting the Dossier completed was much more of a struggle for us though. There were so many documents to obtain or create and a few had such particular specifications that it took a few tries to get them right and weeks to get them complete. So glad it's over! We still need our approval from the US Government via some form thingy. Our agency is supposed to be getting our documents authenticated through Ethiopia's Embassy here in the US, then they are supposed to send them all over to their office in Ethiopia for further translating and authentication. Then we are supposed to get a "referral" of our child soon thereafter. After referral, I've recently heard to expect 5-7 months. So it seems it's gonna be a long wait. I honestly have no idea of what to expect though because there is always something happening over there with the government to add some speedbumps into the process. Recently the government has added a couple of laws to the adoption process to make it a bit trickier, as well as de-license many orphanages to halt the process in some cases. So who knows...

Any questions? :)
Homeschool Decision
I wrote about this a couple months ago. I didn't know if I should homeschool next year or not. After much thought and worry over that decision, I finally decided I would homeschool all the kids next year. However, after making that decision, I felt sick. For one reason or another we decided it wasn't the way to go for now. So I then began investigating other options and ended up signing all the kids up at a local Charter School. It felt right and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. I still would like to go back to homeschooling some day I think, but not at this time. The kids have taken the decision fine. Jonah was the most disappointed. Jonah I worry about the most because he was doing so well at homeschooling, but he has accepted it and I hope he will be happy at his new school.
I was surprised to find on the last day of homeschool I was feeling sad about it! But we are homeschooling each day this Summer for just an hour and so far so good.

8 comments:

Jen said...

those are big life events and changes! I am happy to hear an adoption update, I have been meaning to ask about that. You are amazing!!! I am so excited for your family!

Swasey family said...

Good for you!!!! I hope the kids adjust well to the new school. And sounds like a stressful (impatients) preocess for the adoption. I hope all goes well & speeds up a bit for you! Glad all is going well with your sweet family :)

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Amanda,
Sounds like you are doing good things in your life - where your kids are concerned, of course you only want whats best. I know you know you are doing what's best for now. Exciting to hear your adoption update! Hope these next few months fly by!

By the by, thanks for the package! Look for a thank-you soon!!

Kam said...

Wow! That adoption business takes it's time, huh? I guess they can be sure they get families who are really committed and ready -- after such a long wait! I hope it goes by quickly.

Good luck with the school decision. Prayers for Jonah, that he'll love it and find good friends there. (And for the rest, too, of course.) We love you guys.

E said...

That adoption stuff is intense. As it should be, I'm sure. I hope the charter school works out for the kids. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Emily said...

Thanks for the updates. I was wondering about he adoption thing...I forgot to ask you about it when I talked to you the other day. You are more patient than me! I can't wait to meet the next member of your family!

Robyn said...

Wow! Those are some major issues happening in your house. It's never easy making big decisions where your kids are concerned. I really hope they enjoy their new school. In the mean time, please try to enjoy your summer off. I'm sure you must have some fun things planned.

willmottfamily said...

We are doing a charter school next year, too! I can't wait how it turns out. Keep me posted.