Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Mormons are weirdos

Steve and I got back from "Trek" on Saturday night. It was 4 days of walking, pushing, pulling, sweating, getting incredibly dirty, and learning and growing tremendously.
Mormons are weird because many of them like to dress up like pioneers, travel hours away on buses, and pull around their stuff for many miles in the Wyoming wilderness in handcarts. The point? To kind of do a wannabe reenactment of what our pioneer ancestors did back in the mid 1800's in the name of their faith. These amazing people left their homes and most of their possessions behind and traveled hundreds, some people, thousands of miles to Utah to be free from religious persecution and live together in strength and peace.
These people traveled on foot. Some bare foot for hundreds of miles. Some of these people did so in the snow and many perished. The stories we were told were tragic, and moving. Some so inspiring. They've made my life look pretty darn easy! We felt like wimps when we compared ourselves to them.
We had such an incredible experience!!! Steve and I were "Ma" and "Pa" to these awesome kids. We love these kids so very much now and were so impressed with how well they did! It wasn't easy. We trekked 6.5 miles the first day with these handcarts. We were told we did 11 miles the second day. And we weren't told how far the third, but I think it was about 8 miles.
They all worked hard and had a good attitude. We all really grew from the experience. I have to say the hardest part was being so dirty though and not being able to get clean. No showers, no running water that we could wash ourselves or our dishes with. But it was worth it.

5 comments:

Stefani B. said...

Oh you guys are so brave! It looks rather warm in that picture. I'm glad you had a good experience. I hope to get that chance in the future.

E said...

That's a mighty fine lookin family you got there, ma! (I'm guessing that was the "before" picture?)

Kam said...

Wow! I had a lot to catch up on, I guess... haven't been on blogs lately. I didn't even realize you guys were doing Trek. I love the way you described it. Must have been quite the experience. Our stake is doing it at the end of July, and it is THE talk of the ward. Looks like you guys had a great experience.

Other comments... I love the playroom under the stairs! I read Celeste's detailed account of all the work she did, sounds amazing to have such a motivated helper! I hope they're all enjoying their handywork.

Can't believe Eden is really NINE?! Wow. Time flies.

Hope you all had lots of fun in Cali... sounds like a busy summer for your fam, huh?!

Oh, and one more comment -- the hair makeover looks great! I went through a looong phase of playing with color and thought it was great fun. Good for you, for giving it a try!

Emily said...

Yeah, Mormons do some pretty strange things. What an awesome thing to get to do though! So glad you were able to go and to have Steve with you must have made it even more special.

ManicMandee said...

Jenny, these family photos were on day 3. It's hard to tell, but I felt like I had an inch of grime on my face. My nails were all torn up and filled with dirt, it was beyond disgusting.