Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Over the Hill

I've been teasing Steve a lot this year about turning 40. It's been so much fun that the kids have been getting into it. Celeste said today to Steve "Were you from the 'Land Before Time'?" He's been a good sport.
This guy is the best!
So yeah, today he turned 40. I can't believe he is that old! (Obligatory reminder. I am only 32. Ahem. But the painful reminder is that we look the same age. Ahem. No fair!) A couple of weeks ago I started planning a surprise party for him. The first he's ever had. I found a local restaurant that we like that has a party room. I reserved it. I invited all of his family (sibs and their spouses and kids) that were local and all of mine. Lets refer to the place as BOP hereafter. They all agreed to show up before we got there and sit in the party room to surprise us when we arrived.
So the kids approached me a few days before we left for Africa and asked if they could throw him a surprise party. I ended up telling them they can't because I already was. Mistake #1. Here are all the things that happened that went right over my sweet, gullible husband's head over the last couple weeks leading up to this surprise party.
1- Becca told him about his party. But he didn't hear because he was on the treadmill and not really paying attention to her.
2- The kids were so giddy and excited they kept referring to it without totally giving it away.
3- Today, the day of the party I asked Steve if it was ok if the kids and I took him out to dinner at BOP. He said he wasn't sure he wanted to go there. He thought going somewhere closer might be better. He started looking to see if there were closer locations or considering different options. I was inwardly panicking.
4- I just tell him "I really want to go to BOP. I am craving it. Can we please go?!"
5- A huge snowstorm hits with wind gusts about 30 minutes prior to departure.
6- He then begins to really persist that if we must go out to dinner tonight we really ought to stay close to home. Again, I'm telling him, I am really really wanting BOP!
7- He has something with work happen and he tells me that he needs to work and we will have to leave later.
8- Power goes out from the storm momentarily a couple of times pulling him away from work. Thank goodness. The kids and I just start getting loaded up in the car whether or not he was gonna be able to break away from work. He finally does.
9- We get going and as he is driving in this weather he keeps persisting about going elsewhere. He suggests a few other places to go closer to home. I say "I'm sorry I'm being selfish on your birthday but I just really want to eat there please! We can go wherever you want when it's my birthday in return." The kids are getting upset because he keeps wanting to go elsewhere. He finally gives in.
10- We get to the restaurant and I see at least two of our families very unique and easy to spot cars in the parking lot. We parked just a couple of cars away from both of them. He doesn't notice.
11- From the parking lot I could see the window open with all of our family sitting in a room together. Before Steve notices I bang on the window and tell them to close the blinds.
12- We walk in and I lead him to the room. He's confused as to why we are just walking right on in while there are people waiting to be seated.

Then just as we walk past the wall of windows to the room that everyone is in, he is actually looking the opposite direction. He doesn't notice or suspect a thing until he walks into this room and there sits all of our family. And it felt priceless. And he truly did not ever suspect a thing he says. And how do I know that he's telling me the truth? Because this man cannot and will not ever tell a lie. It's my favorite quality about him. The ability to pull a surprise like this over his eyes so easily is probably my second favorite thing. It was a great night! So much fun.

Love you Steve! You are the best husband. You're way too good to me and our kids. We all love, adore, and respect you tremendously.

4 comments:

Emily said...

That is awesome. It's funny how our husbands are alike in this way. Totally unobservant. Sounds like it worked in your favor this time. Glad you were able to pull it off despite all the obstacles. Happy Birthday to one of the greatest guys I know! So glad he's part of our family!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

That is going to be an awesome memory for years to come! Sounds like lots of fun was had - happy birthday Steve! Great job Amanda!

Memzy said...

That's hilar!! Happy birthday steve!!!

Jen said...

Glad he had a good birthday! I am also glad you have such a sweet husband! You are lucky to have him and he is lucky to have you! You are both special people!