Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Some of my happiest memories

As promised, a happier post to follow up that sad one.

To start out I want to say that we came back from this trip with love for these adoptive children like our own flesh and blood. I suddenly wanted to make sure I protected them from anything negative. I wanted everyone to know and love them the way I did. I thought about our families and friends and how they have reacted to our adoption. Especially since we've gotten back. It brings us great joy to realize that all of Steve's family and almost all of mine have been incredibly supportive. They already love these kids too. Take my in-laws for instance. Steve's parents have had Andy and Hana's photos up on their Grandkids brag wall for months now. They are truly thrilled to welcome these children into the family. My mother in law has been sewing quilts for them like she has done for the other grandchildren. Steve's sister has watched out for deals at second hand stores to purchase clothes for Hana and Andy. The rest of his family has expressed their excitement and has loved to hear about the details of the adoption all through the process. They are wonderful people. On my side of the family we have received similar support. My parents have gotten excited and have offered so much support and love for these children. Most of my brothers and sisters too. I love hearing my nieces and nephews get excited about their new cousins. Anna's little Tucker has said the cutest comments about our adoption you'd ever hear! My sisters have been wonderful and given me so much love and help. They also love these children we are bringing home too. It's been a great blessing and so much appreciated by us.
Since we've been back, a large amount of friends, distant relatives and acquaintances have been so wonderful! We've been amazed and touched by people's love and support of what we are doing. When I mentioned the shoes for the children for the orphanage, I had initially expected maybe a few people to approach me about that to help. Not so. It's been way way more. And people that want to do much more than donate for shoes. I think for the most part people have big hearts and they want to help and they are willing to. As sad as it was to see the struggles of people in Africa, it has been a joy and has filled our hearts to see the people want to help and the people that have open arms waiting in the wings to love and welcome our children into our family and country. I love all these people that care so much. There are so many good people out there with good hearts doing good things and I am inspired by them. Thank you everybody!!! You have touched us more than you know.

There are many things about our trip that bring a smile to my face to think about. I want to tell you about a few of those things too.

For the most part we enjoyed almost every meal we ate there. Ethiopians can make some great American food and Italian food. We loved it! A couple of times we went out to Ethiopian restaurants that only served traditional Ethiopian food though. And it was a different experience for us. This is embarrassing, but back at home I had actually cooked Ethiopian food quite a bit for a family that we are friends with that adopted Ethiopian children. But I never had the guts to eat it. It did not look appealing to me. But when we were in Ethiopia, we really thought we better give it a good hard try. This was the dish they brought us out that first time...
Steve's response... "Think outside the bun." We picked at it for a while and couldn't find any of it we liked. There was a bunch left and the waitress came back and asked us how it was. Steve says "Sorry, we aren't use to this kind of food. But I am sure it's good." I bust up laughing. Yeah. Good one Steve.

Another memory that I love to think about has to do with our driver Solomon. He was a really nice guy. We had him eat with us at all our dining out meals. He taught us so much about their country and helped us is many ways. He would often have Ethiopian music playing in the car. It all sounded the same to me and I wasn't loving any of it. But one day I heard a song while in Solomon's car that I really liked! I said to Solomon, "I really like this song!"
On the night Solomon went to pick us up to take us to the airport, I was in the backseat feeling so sad about leaving our children behind. Then Solomon hands me a music CD. He says "That has the song you said you liked on it. It's a gift for you." I couldn't believe how thoughtful that was. We loved our driver. He's a great guy.

Another thing happened there that was ranked right at the top of my list of happy moments. I decided one day to give all the little girls and all the nannies in the orphanage manicures and pedicures. I brought all the stuff with me that day. When we were all in the main room, Steve, the nannies, and all the children, I stood in front of them with the nail polish and explained what it was; doing a little acting for those that didn't speak English. The boys caught on quickly that this was not for them. They all went outside and played soccer with Steve while I got to work. I started with the little girls. One by one I washed their hands and their feet. Then I got my lotion out and massaged their hands and feet. Finally they picked out the color they wanted and I painted their nails on their hands and feet for them. The little girls loved it!
When I got to the adults, they were embarrassed at first. They didn't want me to do that for them. They also didn't think that was something I should do for them. But I insisted. Some of their feet were not like any feet I had ever seen. The skin was like a rhino skin. Their nails like petrified wood. But they sat there like it was heaven. They all let me do it and they all kissed me over and over when I was done. Even Hana's Grandmother wanted in on the action and that was so fun. It was the best feeling to do something for them after all they had done for these children. Here is one of the nanny's hands. Notice she has a Serving With Smiles bracelet on too and silly bandz. All the adults loved those as well. Who'd of thought!
Each day we brought the children little gifts and treats. It was like a celebration every time we gave out these small gifts. One day I handed out little prints of Jesus to the children. The girls got one of Jesus holding hands with a cute little black girl and the boys got one of Jesus holding a little black boy. They all knew who Jesus was. They all loved Jesus. The next day when we came back to the orphanage, I went into the boy's bedroom to see Andy's bed set up like this. He had made his bed with the little travel blanket I gave him and then the picture of Jesus. So sweet.
Meeting all of the children of course was the best part of our trip for sure! Seeing how good they were. So sweet. So grateful. So happy and loving. We went to 3 different orphanages and handed out the Serving With Smiles bracelets and geckos as I've mentioned before. That was so much fun! They wanted everyone to get one. The adults and even the babies.
It was neat to think that something our little American children had made themselves was being worn by sweet little children on the other side of the world.

At one of these orphanages the kids were so happy to spend some time with us. They danced for us and it was Ethiopian dancing, which is entirely unlike American dancing. Youtube Ethiopian dancing and you'll know what I mean. It's a lot of upper body jerking movements. I got up and tried to dance with all of these children, the nannies looking on. They all burst out laughing. I know I was totally messing it up and it felt good to see them laugh so hard even if it was at my expense.

At the orphanage where mine and Steve's children are at, we loved playing with them! Steve had several great soccer games with those boys. All of the children taught us Ethiopian games. We have video of them. They were so fun! Lots of singing was involved in their games. We left that orphanage each day totally exhausted. It was quite the workout playing with them so much.
We also taught them American games. Red Rover and such. They enjoyed learning our games as much as we enjoyed learning theirs.

My most fond memory has to be this final one I will share with you though.
The first few days at the orphanage we had the children do a lot of performing for us. We encouraged them to sing and dance and play in front of us as we watched like adoring fans. Finally I realized they might enjoy it if Steve and I performed for them too. They all gathered around and sat in their little chairs. I stood up front and performed for them. I juggled. I danced ballet for them. Steve and I also did a little swing dancing for them too. I tried to teach them how to juggle. They all tried and it was adorable.
Then they all sat back down and I suggested to Steve that he should get back up there and sing "I am a child of God" with me to the children. He did. The children sat there and watched us in total silence and raptured attention as we sang. Then all of the sudden, during the song, they all got up and quietly walked towards us as we kept singing. They all held hands and a couple of them grabbed our hands. We were all in a circle holding hands. Steve and I were singing "I am a child of God" and the children were watching us so silently, like they felt something, like they understood the meaning. A few tried to sing along. Of course my singing was awful and it didn't help that the scene was choking me up, but the love and spirit in that room was tangible. It was amazing.

10 comments:

Robyn said...

Amanda,

I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts about your trip to Ethiopia and your kids. You and Steve are so amazing and big-hearted. I'm so happy for you, Andy, Hana and their new siblings.

Sarah said...

Amanda,
You family is absolutely amazing. You make me want to be better and do more with what I have. I am so excited for your family and I know you are touching heart everywhere you go.

Memzy said...

1. Pedicures rool! Proof they can cheer any female up.

2. I am a child of god gets me EVERY TIME. Every time!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

I was completely touched by this post - so neat to imagine all that you both did while there.

Totally got tingles reading about you both singing "I am a child of God" with the children holding your hands. Wow.

Elizabeth Bailey Waite said...

I loved this post! These were the stories I wanted to hear. I'm so excited for these children and wish our family could bring them all home. I wanted to make a comment about yesterdays post: Amanda, the Lord is so thrilled with all the compassionate service you have given all your life, and He would be very sad for you to ever guilty over not doing more. We cannot save everyone. You do more than anyone I know, with the resources given you. Continue to give the children you have the good life they enjoy, and take especially good care of these two the Lord has brought to you. I know the rest of us could do better, and we will try. But I don't ever want you to feel like you don't do enough. You put us all to shame. I wish I could go with you when you go back.

just a random genius said...

Hi Amanda, you don't know me but I'm your sister-in-law Alysa's sister. I'd love to help with the shoes if you're still looking for help! (Don't really want to put my contact info online so if I can help out, can you let me know through Alysa?) I love reading about your experiences and agree with everyone else that seeing the neat things you guys are doing makes me want to be better!
Laura

Kam said...

I read both of these posts late last night, and haven't been able to stop thinking about them -- both the happy bits and the sad, hard part. These are some of the most thought-provoking writings, thank you for sharing. I love that you and Steve got to perform for the kids, what a special memory for them and for you. Keep sharing!

Emily said...

I loved this post. It just warms my soul and makes me feel even more excited to experience some of the same things for myself. I love you.

E said...

Thank goodness for this happy follow up! I loved all the stories. But that picture of the "food" belongs on the sad post, I think.

Jen said...

I loved this! I am ready to go shoe shopping with you whenever you are ready! So let me know!

I love you Amanda!!!!