Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Hello. My name is Amanda and I'm a...couponer

Never thought those words would ever come out of my mouth, but they sure have.
A few years back I tried the couponing thing. I was terrible at it. And I was noticing I was spending more money than saving because I was buying a bunch of junk I would have never bought just because it was a good deal. It took a lot of time too. I eventually came to the conclusion that couponing just wasn't for me.
Groceries have gotten much more expensive the last couple of years. And to add to that, in the last two years our family has grown by 3 more people with a 4th person soon to arrive. Plus, we just funded a very very expensive adoption. So I was feeling the pressure to save our family some real money.
Someone I knew was teaching classes on couponing and I took it.
It's been a few months since I started couponing and there's definitely a learning curve, but I have my own system down and I am actually enjoying it. I get this rush when I rack up this large grocery bill, then hand the cashier my stack of coupons and watch the price drop significantly. I'm not an extreme couponer and I don't save insane amounts of money. But lately, it's been about $100 off of each shopping trip. Which for us, $100 a week of savings is a big deal. So yeah. I'm a couponer.

2 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Hey, I'm a couponer too! And just like you, I'm not an extreme one. I just like to save on what I already normally buy. Very cool to find yet another thing we have in common! :)

Cristin said...

Woot! I'm not a couponer, I was when it was just 3 of us but as my family grew the less I did. $100?? that is amazing! NIIIIIIIIICE!