Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Lice!

The night of my birthday, Cessie informed us that we had kids with lice. So when Steve and I got back late that night, we inspected everyone's heads and found that everyone was infected, except possibly Andy because we couldn't tell with his thick fro. Even Steve and I! We weren't sure when it came to our family, and how, but we were guessing Sam was the culprit and that he got it from school. But because it was my birthday and it had been so perfect, and I was so happy, and it was so late, I decided to go to bed and deal with it in the morning. 
So the next morning, we kept everyone home from school, and we started by treating everybody's heads.
Then we cleaned the house from top to bottom and sanitized everything that we could. We gathered up any clothing, towels, or bedding that could possibly have been affected. And we went to the laundry mat where we all worked our butts off doing FORTY loads of laundry!!! It was intense!
At the laundry mat, everyone still had treatment stuff in their hair. So we also all looked pretty ghetto.
After the laundry mat, I wanted to take the kids swimming, but our pool was closed for maintenance. So after a little deliberation, I went ahead and got a hotel room in Round Rock off of Priceline. We left Steve and Cessie at the house to work on getting the laundry sorted out and put away and getting the house cooled off. (Steve had read that heating the house to 130 degrees for a short period of time would also help to kill lice. So he had done that too as an added precaution.)
Then the rest of the kids and I went to the hotel to swim and do another lice shampoo treatment on everyone in the hotel room. I know it sounds excessive, but we were super paranoid about not getting it totally out of our house and heads or getting a re-infection if we were not thorough enough. 
When we all got back home from the purging, we were so exhausted, but the kids and I all felt like it had turned out to be a pretty awesome day. We all had a family problem and it was all hands on deck to fix it and we did. Together. And we had fun and bonded doing so!

No comments: