Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

More Memories

I was able to go to a private viewing of a rehearsal for a new contemporary ballet company in town called The Trey McIntyre Project. SUPER AWESOME!!! Steve has a co-worker who's wife is their fund raising director and I got the hook-up. It got me thinking about old dance days.

This photo is of me at age 10 I believe. It was me in our living room in my costume for the ballet "Aladdin". It was my first ballet. It was a blast! My big sister Anna was in it with me. It was great getting to dance with her. I started taking ballet lessons at Bakersfield Ballet Theatre when I was 9 or 10. I enjoyed it so very much. I worked so hard. I was put in a beginning ballet class at first and practiced and pushed myself like crazy. The owner and director kept moving me up in levels until I was with advanced dancers and dancing on pointe at age 10. Growing up, I loved dancing more than doing anything else. The best part of ballet was performing on stage. I loved the acting in the ballets and being in front of large, live audiences. I also did jazz, modern and tap. But ballet was my niche. Below is a picture of me at age 13 in a costume for "The Nutcracker". I performed in this show for 5 years. Some of the best memories ever!!!!
Below are a few photos of me from 3 years ago. I was asked to perform at a Relief Society function and told them I couldn't do it, but that I would display photos instead. So I had this fun photo shoot with some photographers who had two daughters who were students of mine. It was fun playing around and trying all kinds of poses. All of these photos are looking pretty sad because they are just scanned. But you get the idea.
Leaping. I loved leaps and turns the best.
This photo was me trying to be a contemporary cool, muscle woman. Didn't quite work out that way, but still fun!
I do miss dancing now. I gained about 20 lbs a while back and have been too embarrassed to get myself to class since then. I have struggled getting the weight off! Excuses, excuses. Now I feel like I've lost all flexibility and strength. Every now and then I do have dreams of dancing though. As in sleeping dreams. I dream I am spinning on pointe and I just keep going and going and after about 20 spins in one step, I decide that I will casually, end with a pose.

12 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE all these pictures--especially the later ones because you look so hot! You are and will always be an awesome dancer--something I really admire about you. I took dance once, remember...

E said...

Ah, this is exactly how I remember you when we were kids. I remember going to see you perform in Aladdin. You were always a hit at the family reunion talent shows, too. I hope you're passing along all that ballet knowledge to your girls!
BTW, you look totally toned and muscular!

Pearl Girl said...

WOW, I wish I could see you dance. I have always wished I could dance. As a kid I was not confident enough, my ballet experience lasted only a few months and it was so humiliating I cried every time. But I love taking Mckinley to see dance recitals and ballets. You are awesome !

Anonymous said...

I remember watching you in Aladin. You were living in that rented house with the pool I beleive. The only reason I remember that is because that was about the time our family was getting ready for the depresing move to Idaho. Sorry to put that damper on your sweet memory. You were always a beautiful dancer though and you did always steal the talent shows at the reunions....stage hog!!!

Anonymous said...

I dream that all my teeth are loose and they all keep falling out one by one...Im obsessed with teeth though and Im terrified of dentists.

Jennifer P. said...

I remember seeing those photos back at the ward talent display and thinking WOWZA!--that's some flexibility! I dance all through my teenage and college years and miss it terribly too. I knew the basics of ballet, but jazz and hip hop were my big loves. I still bust a move around my house from time to time, but know I have completely lost my cool factor in my old age :). I think you could still pull off ballet though--that's about grace and beauty, and those things only increase with age.

Thanks for letting me know I"m not alone in my desire to DANCE :)!

Anna B said...

I love the old memories I have of dancing with you. Thank you for not putting any pictures of me in my lame poses and stuffed bras. You were ALWAYS a better dancer than me and I was very proud of you.

Dalana and Mark said...

Love all of the pictures. I sure enjoyed watching you dance in Alice and at the Bishop family talent show. What an awesome talent! I especially love the picture of you leaping and on point (did I phrase that correctly)? Amazing!

Hot Pants said...

Those pictures of you are the reason we can never go swimming together. Me in my swimsuit standing next to you in a swimsuit would just never work.

Mikki said...

I keep telling you that you need to get back into dancing. I had no idea just how awesome you were. I missed the ward fair when you had those photos up, I think you've been really holding out on me. You look great now, just like you did in the photos.

Kam said...

Wow! You are soo beautiful and talented, Amanda! I love that you have such a passion for dancing, and that you're sharing it with your girls, too. Thanks for the gorgeous picts! Awesome.

Shed said...

Remember when we would dance point together? I still have my tights and shoes. Maybe when you're here for Molly's wedding we can tear up the floor once again?