Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Update


Lately, people have started asking me questions about our pregnancy loss. Enough people have asked certain questions, that I decided to post the questions and answers here.
1- Question: "So did they ever figure out why you lost the baby?"
Answer: Not really. The amnio test came back and there was nothing wrong with the baby. Genetically he looked great. However, there were two theories given to me. One was maybe the blood clot I had in my placenta that they saw in the ultrasound weeks before had something to do with it. Or when I delivered Benjamin, the cord was really twisted up and the doctor thought that may have been the cause as well. Who knows. We do know that it wasn't the baby.
2- Question: "How are you feeling now?"
Answer: I was pretty depressed for a few weeks afterwards. Then it got better gradually. It has been over a month since I delivered him now and I am feeling much better than I thought I would be only a month later. I still feel sad about it. But instead of being consumed with sorrow I have tried to throw myself back into life and that has helped. I have been volunteering at the school more, attending the temple often, working madly as Young Womens President, trying to get my house more organized, and training for a 10k race next month, among other things.
3- Question: "When are you going to start trying for another?"
Answer: I can't help but be obsessed with the thought of having another. I have been reading lots of books, researching on the internet and surveying people who have had similar experiences as me, about pregnancy after miscarriage. The doctor told me she wanted me to wait 3 months. But I found that statistically your chances of miscarriage do not go up if you got pregnant a month sooner than that. Plus I have talked to women who were told by their doctors even after a stillborn that they could try again right away. So the opinions on this are all over the place. I've been taking really good care of myself with diet and exercise and taking prenatal supplements as well as iron as the doctor prescribed after losing all that blood. I am doing everything I can to be in good shape with my health to try for another soon. I am hoping that we will be expecting another within the next few months. Hopefully it is God's will too. We'll have to see.
There have been other questions posed to me, but these are the ones that have come up the most. So I'll just leave it at that.
Thanks for being interested and concerned, (if you were of course.)

8 comments:

Eliza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eliza said...

Amanda you really have been in my thought and prayers ever since I read about your loss. I feel so sad for you and your family but I also feel like there is so much hope and happiness ahead for the Bishop family. Your family is so amazing I know they are a great support for you.

eekareek said...

Amanda, of course I was interested and concerned. I am glad that you are doing so much better. I have been thinking about you and appreciate the update.

Kam said...

Thank you for sharing so much of your thoughts and feelings about baby Benjamin. We have been praying for you and thinking of you -- feeling a little helpless from so far away. But we sure do hope you're feeling okay with everything, as it sounds like you are. Training for a 10k?! That's awesome! You're all in our prayers, for sure. Love you guys!
Kamber and Brian

Emily said...

I miss you!! I wish you could have been on our crazy camping trip. I can't wait to see you in a month or so. Love you tons.

Dalana and Mark said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Amanda. I have never asked you, but have wondered some of those same questions. I am glad you seem to be happy and busy. I admire your strength. That grave marker is just beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes.

Anna B said...

I love the grave marker. That is so sweet. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are truly amazing and I love you so much.

Emily said...

That grave marker is just beautiful and pefect. I love you sis.