Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Andy Homeschooling

So this week we had a sudden big change. I got a call from my friend Kelly, who works at the Middle School a lot. She told me that she didn't think that Andy was going to be able to pass his Spanish class. She wanted to see if we should get him pulled out of it. And she said that we could get an exception for him to not have to take a foreign language in high school. He has good grades in all of his classes. But he is just working to get what he needs done, but isn't really understanding things well. He is still really behind on his reading and writing skills and math too.
When my friend told me about pulling him out and getting him out of a foreign language in high school, I kind of panicked. I didn't want him to not be able to take all the classes he needs to get into college. I don't want to make any decisions that would prevent him from the very best possible future. And if he can't handle his Spanish class now, how is he really going to handle high school. We have been worried about how far behind he is academically for a long time.  And we have talked about homeschooling him several times. But he LOVES school so much. He loves it for his friends and the social life he has there. So homeschooling was never something he wanted. But I finally decided that this may be our last chance to really get him ready for high school. He is so far behind and despite all the meetings at the school with staff and teachers to get him the help he needs, he is still too far behind. He has too many gaps in his education that need to be filled. So I made the decision to pull him out. He was devastated!!!! But we did it anyhow, So he had his first few days at home getting taught by me. The first couple of days he was not too happy.
Part of his homeschooling, I have him help Sam with learning to read. I thought this would be good for the BOTH of them. And it has been.
I liked this moment they were having that I witnessed.

By the end of the week, he wrote this in his journal. It made me happy.

No comments: