Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Confessions of a mediocre mom

So what kind of mom am I?
Well to start off, I'm now the kind of mom who will let a child wear the same outfit for 5 consecutive days in a row just because it's her favorite outfit and because I've given up caring about stuff like that. I'll even take this child to respectable places like the optometrist in said outfit after she's worn it for 5 days. Think ill of me if you wish--but that's what I've become. (Look how happy that child is in that outfit btw.) I'm also the kind of mom who after a couple years of hearing "When can I get contact lenses?" lets her 10 year old get them. And I'm actually almost as excited about it as she is it too. (She's loving them so far!)
And finally I'm the kind of mom who 1-Decided years ago that my kids will only get a "friend birthday party" on their 8th, 12th, and 16th birthdays. Otherwise they just get a fun date with either mom or dad and a little family celebration on their special days. And it's worked out great.
2- Today is Becca's bday and I'm also neglecting to make a post exclusively to her. But she's had a good day so far and we love her to death!!!!!!!!!! How did she grow to be 6 already?! I've used her birthday as my excuse to smother her with extra hugs and kisses today. What a joy she is to me!
As a mom throughout the years, I think I've changed quite a bit. I used to care about my house being spotless a lot more for example and that affected my parenting significantly. In many ways I've learned to loosen up a bit. I often ask myself "Is it of eternal consequence?" And if it's not, then I try to let it go. Don't get me wrong though; I LOVE a clean house.
I'm not the greatest mom, but I can say that I am truly crazy about my kids and I am confident that they know it. I make plenty of mistakes for sure! Although, I think for the most part my children are enjoying life. And I'm enjoying it with them.

12 comments:

Swasey family said...

I love that you blogged about this today.have you seen my kiddos....Spiderman jammies and cowboy boots is where they live.Its not worth the meltdown they give me, and its so hard to say no when they are soo happy in what they are wearing, and not to mention I can't stand to break there little hearts and tell they they are not the read Spiderman / batman!!haha..I love being a mommy!

Sarah said...

I love this post...I love that 5 day outfit and I think you are the best sort of Mom.

Andrea's Mom said...

seems like (from the blog) you're a GREAT mom...at least the kind i would've wanted.

btw- doesn't everyone wear the same outfit 5 days in a row? :)

if I had one that made me look as cute as her, I'd wear it 5 days too.

Dalana and Mark said...

What a great post Amanda! I love your honesty. I need to learn from you and care a little less about certain things and direct my time and energy where it's more important. Good job and thanks for sharing! I'm sorry Becca was so sad last night when Mom and Dad called and we sang happy b-day to her!

Robyn said...

You are definitely the least mediocre mom that I know. You do so much with and for your kids. That's a really big deal. And letting your child wear the same outfit for days on end is such a minor detail. Eden looks happy and healthy so it doesn't matter much what she wears. You are so full of love and dedication. That's what counts.

btw, I think your word might be "family".

Emily said...

I LOVE it, but you are anything but mediocre! I love you.

Mary said...

I just learned how mediocre I was as a mom as I saw some similarities in our parenting. I had the same standard for birthday parties and worried way too much about a clean house.Hopefully, we're not alone and that will make us just human instead of mediocre.

Jen said...

Happy Birthday to Becca!! :)

mitzi said...

It's good to learn what is important now when your kids are still young--I'm at the age where you start to look back at how you did things and wonder "what if", and "wish you knew what you know now back then" (hind-sight is so much clearer!). I have fantastic kids; however, and they got that way in spite of my parenting. Keep having fun with them!

Teresa Johnson said...

I don't believe for a second that you are metiocre. I love this post.

E said...

My mom still won't let me get contacts. I've been begging her for years.

Kam said...

I love that you let Eden wear the same clothes five days in a row. I especially love it because Sammie just wore the same outfit for three days in a row this week. We had to break the streak because it was Sunday today, but I bet she'll have those shorts on again tomorrow if she can find 'em.
How exciting for Celeste to get contacts! Congrats to her on that! And Happy Birthday to Becca. We love you guys!