Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

An Odd Anniversary

*If you are of a different faith, let me explain before you read this story. A "blessing" is when a Priesthood holder places his hands on your head and pronounces certain blessings upon you. Quite similar to Christ in his day. In our church, all worthy men are able to hold this Priesthood. My husband has it among many of my male friends and family.  I have complete faith in the power of the Priesthood.*

It was Conference Sunday last year that I had a life changing experience. I have told very few people about this and hesitate to write about it even a year later. But I believe it's time.
Many people may not get it, believe it or care. I write this for the rest of the people who may take something from my experience or just take interest in the intimate happenings of my life.


I'll have to start from the beginning though.
Growing up I was moody. When High School hit, I imagine I seemed to have exaggerated moodiness. When College came around it got much worse. When I was 18 and living in Philadelphia (very far from home,) I went totally nuts. I was fully psychotic. I've related to many people the funny and scary things that occurred during that experience so I wont repeat it here. I was sent to a psychiatrist by a friend who was caring enough to tell me I needed help. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. That was 13 years ago.


For 11 years I'd been off and on various medications and trying to live as normally as I could. But it was super hard! My emotions could change on a dime and would be so intense and out of control. I had lots of ups and downs, but having Steve as my husband helped settle me more than you could imagine. The depression episodes were ugly. Countless times I wanted to die. I would have an incredible sense of self loathing that would overcome me to the point where I wished I could end it. And it's no secret that I almost accomplished that once. In that case, Steve literally saved my life. I hit rock bottom more times than I can remember.


Ok. So fast forward to a year ago.
I was really depressed. Again.
I was lying on the couch speechless and motionless with sorrow. Steve said he wanted to give me a blessing. Many times I'd been given blessings, but they usually only afforded me much needed peace and comfort temporarily. I had long since given up even the thought of being cured of Bipolar. He placed his hands on my head and gave me an incredible blessing. He told me that I would no longer be afflicted with Bipolar Disorder. I went from lying there limp, both physically and emotionally, to perking right up with shock. When he was done, I looked at him in disbelief and asked him, "Did you really say that I will no longer have bipolar?!" And he said he did, and knew it was true. It soon became evident to me as well that it was true.


You may be wondering how the last year has been for me. I am happy to report that this has been the best year of my life. You got it. The best. Not because the best things happened to me. Although plenty of good things have happened. It's just that I have been able to really feel what it is like to feel normal. Before I always felt like a mess on the inside and tried to appear normal on the outside. I still get emotional, but it's not the same. Before, something very trivial could happen that could propel me to such feelings of despair, that I'd want to die. Or worse, nothing would happen and I would just feel that way. I still can be sad like everyone does at times, but the way I handle it is still in the realm of reason and rationality. This is the first time that I have had a baby and didn't have to get myself going on a nice dose of antidepressants to prevent me from going suicidal with post-partum depression. I didn't have any of that this time around! I've been off all medications for a couple years now and feel better and stronger as time passes. Some may say it was just all in mind. But I know it isn't.

I feel so grateful to God that I was able to have such a blessing and for my husband who gave it to me. It truly was a miracle.

18 comments:

Memzy said...

That's wonderful news Amanda. We are so happy for you.

Sarah said...

I love you and that is AWESOME!

mitzi said...

What a testimony to the power of the priesthood! I am so happy for you and your wonderful family!

Cristin said...

Amanda, this is so awesome! I'm so happy for you. I can't imagine what it's been like for you but I know what it feels like to feel "normal" after not being normal. YAY!!!

Dalana and Mark said...

What a wonderful story, Amanda! Thank you for sharing it. What a blessing this must be for you and your family. This is such great news. We're so happy for you all. We miss you guys.

Teresa Johnson said...

What a great story and thanks for sharing! It was great to see you and your beautiful family this weekend.

Anonymous said...

You are a brave and very strong person. I'm so greatful to have you for family! It was so great to see you all this last weekend!

Hot Pants said...

Thanks for being so open and sharing your life with all of us. I had a great time with you this weekend! Wish we could do it more often.

Hazel said...

That story seriously made me cry. How terribly sad that you were so unhappy, and then the amazing happy ending. I love, love, love that you post the intimate details of your life, and that my computer is finally fixed so I can read it.

E said...

Wow! That is amazing. I am so happy for you! I love how open and honest you are with us. And it was so fun to see you and your family this last weekend.

Charlotte said...

That is an amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

Emily said...

I'm really glad you shared that story because I think it says so much about the amazing person you are. You have taught me more than you know and I have seen a change in you that really makes me happy. You deserve to be happy and I feel so blessed to be your sister.

Thank you for all you do.

Markie23 said...

You gize rock!

Anna B said...

I admire your honesty and bravery. I love you and am happy that you can report such a great outcome on your past year. I would like to think that I had someting to do with it...ha ha!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

That is an incredible experience. Thank you for sharing it - it only strengthens the testimony I have of the love our Heavenly Father has for us. I am so happy for you that you can have a reprieve from that struggle!

cbonitab said...

your amazing! seriously. I have always looked up to you in one way or another. I remember when you would like stretch crazy in your parents house and I was like... there's no way her legs are still attached to her body... LOl sersiouly. Now I look up to how you treat your children and admire the love you and steve have. I loved that when i baby sat for you, I found little things all over the house that were "love tokens." I can honestly say that I know every few people who are happily married and love thier spouses. As a single person it's refreshing to see that someone out there values the "constitution" that I'm working so hard to have. I don't think married people realize but belittling their spouse they make it hard to want to be married.
I'm happy for you, and duh your happy, you make awesome kids.

I think you should write your story to the ensign or atleast make a detailed record. it shows your strength and that is very admirable. More people are affected by mental illness than I think anyone knows and I know you could really really help alot of people.

cbonitab said...

your amazing! seriously. I have always looked up to you in one way or another. I remember when you would like stretch crazy in your parents house and I was like... there's no way her legs are still attached to her body... LOl sersiouly. Now I look up to how you treat your children and admire the love you and steve have. I loved that when i baby sat for you, I found little things all over the house that were "love tokens." I can honestly say that I know every few people who are happily married and love thier spouses. As a single person it's refreshing to see that someone out there values the "constitution" that I'm working so hard to have. I don't think married people realize but belittling their spouse they make it hard to want to be married.
I'm happy for you, and duh your happy, you make awesome kids.

I think you should write your story to the ensign or atleast make a detailed record. it shows your strength and that is very admirable. More people are affected by mental illness than I think anyone knows and I know you could really really help alot of people.

Swasey family said...

your are amazing.You have such a positive outlook.That story gave me chills.Isn't it AMAZING the miracle of a preisthood blessing?!I am so happy for you.And glad you are doing well.