Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Notes to readers

Today was our first day of Homeschool. It was great! The kids will be having writing assignments each day that I'll have them type up in a word processor, then paste it into their blogs. I wanted to do this because I figured if it was out on the WWW, then maybe they would try harder to write well and entertain. I think it worked. They spent a long time drafting their assignments and I didn't help them with that at all. I was proud of them. The only thing I helped them with is making a few minor grammatical changes. I didn't try to improve their writing or even fix all the grammar. But if you're a regular on this blog, you'll know my grammar is not great either. I'll hopefully be getting better as we learn more about that together. So I just want to say I would super super appreciate it if you would subscribe to Anna Celeste and Jonah's blogs and occasionally pop over there and comment on their posts. They will need the comments and criticism to keep them going strong.
Thanks!

Also-

In reading all your comments on my last post, I started to make a comment on it in response to yours. As I wrote it I decided to go ahead and post it here.

To all- I just want to say that I really didn't have any intention of using our Christmas post as suggestions to you for your own Christmas traditions! I realize our family is a bit strange and I bet you all do it better for your family than I could ever do. But I truly just wanted to write about our traditions for the sake of my kids reading this later and seeing how, when and why traditions we had done evolved.

Anna- Keep in mind my kids were surprised almost all the years before and were actually not any happier or excited than they were this year. In fact, I think last year I gave them all surprises and they seemed to not be nearly as excited about their gifts. Plus shopping together this time was pretty fun. But I'm taking mental note about you. *Anna likes surprises!* I sometimes just do for people what I would want thinking they'd like it and I'm really wrong. Everybody likes it different.

Erin- Three Christmas' ago (I think it was,) my kids discovered their carefully picked-out presents all beautifully wrapped, hidden and with tags on them stating "From Santa" before Christmas. They put two and two together and all came to realize that Santa was really Mom and Dad. They were pretty bummed, but not as much as I was for them sneaking around trying to get peaks at their presents! I was pretty upset that I didn't feel like trying to come up with a big lie story about why Santa had brought the gifts early and hid them etc...

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I love your ideas on Christmas. You really have to do what works and feels right. Maybe next year you find a $30 family gift (like a game for your family nights) that is a surprise. They won't know its coming, and it will be a great reminder to them that that Christmas is about family, love and so many other things. It will also cover all your bases in case there is a child that would love the surprise.
Good luck with homeschooling. I hope it goes well for you and the kids.

btw...We transferred to Florida for Jims job. Loved our time, but never fully adjusted to being away from everyone. When a position within his company opened up back in Ohio, he went for it, got it, and it is leading us back home.

Robyn said...

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I've been trying to catch up on your last few posts. I like your Christmas traditions. You do what works for you and the family and that's what really counts.

Good luck with the homeschooling. You are much braver than I am!

Emily said...

I LOVE reading your kids' blog posts! They are really good writers. Kennedy was reading Celeste's post from yesterday and said, "Wow, mom, she writes like an adult!" It's true, she's really talented.

I hope you didn't feel judged from your post yesterday. Nobody knows your children like you do. What works for your family may not work for another family. You are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Love ya.

Stefani B. said...

Will do! I can't wait to read what they come up with. Kid's have the craziest little minds!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Congrats on a successful homeschool opening day!

And as for your last post (sorry I'm late to the game), but just to prove your point--my kids' favorite thing was the huge box Garret's new office chair came in. Go figure.

E said...

I'm glad you got off to a good start! You have to let us know how it goes, every step of the way. I'm very interested. I'll be sure to check in on those kids of yours too. ;)

Memzy said...

No judging here. Nor there. Every family is different. The end.