Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Flashback

I have not had anything I've felt like blogging about. But I don't like keeping any post sitting there very long. It gets boring you know.

So in looking for an idea, I went through my old photo album and found this little photo with a story that I love behind it. Do you want to see the WORST hairdo I've ever had? I thought so...
You are very welcome.
So on the left is my dear dear friend Dana. Amy is in the middle, (at her baptism,) and I'm on the right. This is when I lived in Philly back in 1997. So at that time I was going psycho. I am not afraid to admit it. Looking back, it all feels like a dream. Before I moved to Philly I was already showing signs of Bipolar but it wasn't until I moved to Philly that I went totally nuts. I didn't really know a soul when I moved there. Except for Dana. Dana and I met in Provo, Utah that Summer and she was hired on as a nanny in Philly. The neighbors of the family she would be nannying for were also looking for a nanny and Dana recommended me. We both moved there and became super close.
At the same time, I was having some crazy rapid cycling. I was super depressed one moment and super hyper the next. Up and down like crazy all day every day. I was even hallucinating. Things like seeing a bat in my room that wasn't really there, and thinking that floors were moving all around under me while I was in public...crazy stuff. And like most psycho people, I didn't know I was psycho. Fortunately, I had made a few friends and one of them was kind enough to sit me down and tell me that he thought I was psycho and I needed to get in with a psychiatrist. And I did.
All along this craziness I had the most wonderful friend with me. Dana.
Dana was so patient with me. She held me and loved me through the entire stinkin mess.
She was a lifesaver!
Here's an example of what a great friend she was. Now I'm getting back to the point of the picture here and the story that is dear to my heart. For some freak reason I decided to cut my hair. I was alone and went ahead chopping it off. (Kind of like crazy Brittney Spears. I'm sure she's bipolar.) The result...see above. Then Dana comes along and she sees my hair. I cried. And you know what she said? She said "Would it make you feel better if I cut my hair too?" And this is how bad of a friend I was. I said yes. Isn't that horrible!?
So she cut her hair too. The result...see above photo again.
Disaster. A couple of major mushroom heads.

There's a happy ending here. 1- My hair grew back eventually and 2- Dana lives only a few miles away. Love that girl.

16 comments:

Swasey family said...

What an amazing friend.That is a true friend I tell ya!Thinking about it now, I can count a few of my friends who I think would do similar things for me!Glad things went well for you.How are you feeling?

Hazel said...

I think this is my favorite post of yours. I can't believe she would cut her hair for you. That is a real true friend. And I don't know how you do it, but you are prettier now. And skinnier? You are doing something right.

You feeling better?

Unknown said...

Friends like that are few and far between. What a blessing. I wish I lived as close to my BFF.

Memzy said...

Srsly? Wow. She is a REAL friend.

E said...

I wanna say the haircut is not that bad. I REALLY wanna say it. But you know I can't. At least you look super hawt now. And please tell me you made it up to Dana.

Hot Pants said...

What a great friend! Hair is one of the greatest sacrifices a friend can make.

Anna B said...

That is my favorite Dana story. I wuv her!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Seriously. A friend who sacrifices one of a woman's true beauties for a friend must have angel wings hidden under the skin on her back. Glad you have friends like that!

Emily said...

I love this story and I super love Dana!!

Lisa said...

That's a heart-warming story! That's the most awesome story of friendship I have heard in forever! Everyone should have that kind of friend! Do you know where I can find such a friend of my own?

Sarah said...

What a great friend. You are so lucky to have somebody like that in your life!

Sarah said...

Ok, so I am not that great of a friend and Amanda has been the greatest friend to me too and was seriously fun at that time especially when she was Manic Mandy. I have sooo many great memories of that time (hairdo not included) I learned to roller blade, love The counting crows and many other things from Amanda. It also taught me a great lesson; that I do not look good with short hair. I always think I can get a new hairstyle and magically the texture of my slightly curly mostly frizzy hair will be transformed. But that haircut taught me that it will never happen and to keep my hair long. I love you Amanda.

mitzi said...

It takes a friend to have one...and it's easy to tell what kind of person you are.

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting, Amanda; it makes my day! I put a live feed widget on it so I could see if anyone else was visiting it--but mostly I found out that I visit it more than anyone else. :-)

ManicMandee said...

Katie-

Thanks for asking. Yeah, I'm doing a bit better and I'm happy too. Things are good!
And you say such nice things. Thanks!!!
You're like one of the nicest people I know.

Robyn said...

What a great story! I had no idea that you were a nanny in Philly. You are full of surprises!

I'm so glad that Dana was there for you. What an awesome friend!

Vegas Family said...

Alright Amanda, I love this story.
I am glad you had a friend like that by your side during hard times. A good BFF is hard to find. I think I have an amazing BFF but I don't know if she would go that far for me.
I have a feeling your probably a pretty amazing friend as well.