Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Baby Names

I'll let you all in on the names we have come up with for our girl.
I want to let you know that this post will be divided into two categories. Black font will be the information that is all the "bla bla bla..." explanation for those who are interested and for my own documentation. The red font will be basically just skipping to the point for those who are bored with it and want to just skim read. I thought that would be helpful because this is a wordy post, but I wanted some of this down in writing.

First let me tell you what I like to keep in mind when choosing names.
1- I want each of our children to have one family name. Either their first name or middle name.
2- I want each of our children to have one name that will remind them of something spiritual or of a person/place in the scriptures.
3- I like the meaning or definition of their names to be something desirable. Although this isn't crucial to me.
4- They can't be rated in the top 10 names used in the most recent popularity lists. Even top 50 is a bit of a deterrent for me. No kid wants 5 other kids in their class to have their name.

So we've got with our children so far:

Anna Celeste: Anna after my sister and Steve's paternal grandmother and meaning "gracious, merciful". And Celeste meaning "heavenly" or Celestial.


Jonah Steven: Jonah after the Biblical prophet with a great moral to the story and meaning "dove". And Steven after his dad, meaning "crown".

Eden Elizabeth: Eden after the Garden in the Bible, meaning "paradise". Elizabeth after my mother, meaning "God is my oath".

Rebecca Susan: Rebecca was the wife of the patriarch Isaac in the Bible. Susan after Steve's mom and meaning "lily".

Benjamin Bailey: Benjamin after the one in the Bible and Book of Mormon, meaning "son of my right hand". Bailey after my mother's maiden name, meaning "steward".


There are a lot of names I really like out there, but with the criteria above, it really narrows those choices down and makes is a lot harder to choose. Plus having already had 3 girls, it's getting a little tougher.

As for a female family name to use next, I really don't know what to use yet. I'll just work on the first name and decide the middle name once we've got our first name picked out.

To be honest this time around, I am not really excited about any of our top picks yet. But I imagine whatever we choose will grow on me. They are the best ones that fit my criteria. So without further ado, here are our top picks in no particular order:


Faith -Everyone knows that meaning. rated #74


Bethany (which doesn't really have much of a spiritual meaning other than it being the town where Lazarus and his sisters lived in the New Testament. And Jesus visited there at times with a couple significant events being there.) rated #292


Charity- Pure love of Christ. rated #673


Hope- Everyone knows that meaning too. rated #206



There you have it. I am letting you all know our picks here because I'm going to let you vote on your favorite. Not that I intend on choosing what wins out. But I am interested in knowing what name sounds the best to you. And of course you can only choose between the names we've picked here. Some people may be of the opinion that this would be a bad idea. And I can see why they may think that. But for me, I want to know if most of my loved ones can only think of a snob, or an ugly girl, or a really old woman or something else negative when they hear the name I choose. If it's just one person, no big deal. Two people, probably still not a big deal to me. But if it's half the people I know, then I would totally think twice about it! No baby wants to be given a name that for a lot of people, they think is a really bad one.

So go ahead and vote. You can comment here and give me your thoughts. Or you can just use the poll on the side bar. I wont get offended. The birth certificate is still months from being filled out.

22 comments:

Dalana and Mark said...

Thanks Amanda, I read all of it. I think that my favorite is Bethany. I really like that name and I also like the short, "Beth". I have a very sweet and beautiful cousin on the Gunnerson side named this, so at first I think of her when I hear the name and it's a good association. #2 pick for me is Hope, #3 is Faith and #4 is Charity. Good luck w/ the choosing. I think coming up with a name is really fun. Whatever you name her will be great!

mitzi said...

Of course I like the name Bethany, but I think my next favorite is Charity.
I picked Bethany because of the place--I visited there once. There was a huge poinsettia bush (or tree) there; I have my picture next to it. We visited Lazarus' tomb while we were there. I also used Rachael because it is a place (Ramat Rachel)--between Jerusalem and Bethlehem. We lived there for BYU study abroad before the Jerusalem Center was built.

Cristin said...

I love the name Hope ::crossing fingers::

Mary said...

I love your criteria, but have to admit I'm not real crazy about any of the choices. However, Charity is one that might grow on me.

Emily said...

Hmm, I'm not sure which I would pick out of all of those. I guess I would pick Bethany. One of my good friends is named Charity. I would have a hard time not thinking of her when I hear the name. Aren't Tim and Brenda wanting to use Faith (if they have another baby and it's a girl)? I think you should keep brainstorming...

E said...

Hey, I liked reading the black part. I'm always interested in where a baby's name came from. I don't know if we have the same taste in names, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but faith, hope, and charity all sound the same to me. I know they're different, but those three names blur in my mind. They don't stand out from each other. I'm not crazy about Bethany either, but it's only due to a bad association, so that could always be undone when I see your cute baby. If you and Steve aren't in love with any of those names, I'd keep looking.

Hazel said...

I did know this girl named Charity that was so winy and bratty. Before you even asked for negative association, I was going to tell you about her.

As for people not liking your names, I have been there before. I had a girl tell me I was being cruel to my babies...to each his own. I think I would put Bethany at the top of that list, though.

I do have a niece that is obsessed with picking baby names. She might have some more really good names that match the criteria you are trying to fill. I can ask her if you would like me to.

Memzy said...

I can't pick cuz none of those are ones I'd choose. That being said, this is one of the best parts of being a parent: you get to choose what YOU want.

TimW8 said...

Picking names is so personal. But since you asked...If your going for virtue names how about Chastity #868 or Virginity (not even ranked.) Or you could be more traditional and go with Shenaynay, you know the person who invented the phrase, "Oh no you di'nt"
But seriously Shaniqua is unique, no?

ManicMandee said...

Katie,

Totally get your niece to come up with an idea if she would enjoy it. I'd hear her out.

Everyone else,
thanks for your input.
I have to say that I did read the entire girl section of the 100,001 baby name book. I think I've seen pretty much any name there is that would fit my criteria and these were my top picks. I'm kind stuck unless I change my criteria or if I like: Esther, Ruth, Naomi, Delilah, Abish, Sariah. All the other normal spiritual/scripture names are too popular like Emily, Sarah etc...Not that those aren't great names.

Anna B said...

I think I already told you my top pick but just for the record CHARITY.

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Okay, I like Hope and Faith. I associate the name Bethany with someone I don't particularly care for, but I too could change my opinion with your baby if her name was Bethany. I have a nephew who shares the same name as my elementary school crush/boy who broke my heart. My nephew is about 8-9 now, and I only associate the name with him, so it can definitely happen! :)

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Oh, I am not touching this discussion with a ten-foot pole. Baby naming is one of those hot buttons I steer clear of if at all possible.

I will say, however, that Dorkus is my all time favorite biblical woman's name. I'm guessing that isn't ranked very high.

Srsly tho... in your comment... I saw a name that I love.... Sariah. Way way way cute.

K, maybe a two-foot pole. :)

Rob-not-Bob said...

Out of faith, hope, and charity, the greatest is charity.

Not sure what Paul thought of Bethany though.

Hazel said...

My niece decided to weigh in on my blog. I will copy and paste for you...hold on...

Maegen's suggestions:
hmmm... so about those names. I think Hope is cute enough, my top pick of the ones she has listed. As for name suggestions... She definately has some strict criteria. it would be a bit easier if i had a family tree so i could go and find some cute family names... but seeing as i don't... here are a few suggestions.
Ruth - "friend" does this need a biblical explination?
Naomi - "pleasant"
Ruby - proverbs 31:10 who can find a virtuous woman... etc.
Sarai - abram's wife
Miriam - "exalted" moses's sister
Adah - Means "adornment" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wives of both Lamech and Esau in the Old Testament.
Martha - lazarus's sister
those are a few.

Robyn said...

I voted for Bethany, because it's so pretty and kind of old fashioned without it sounding old. Plus I like the nickname Beth. Good luck with your choice. I think that's the hardest part about having kids - coming up with names! And I'm like you, one of their names has to be a family name. I think it's really important to give them that sense of belonging.

Anonymous said...

How fun is this?!! :) Maybe your criteria would allow a prophet or general authority's wife's name? I kind of like Russel M. Nelson's wife's name. It is very unique anyway. (you notice I am not telling you what it is because I don't think that you will really like it anyway, but just suggesting another place you could look for inspiration as we all know that a good man has a great woman at his back :)

Swasey family said...

Can I vote for all of them?!!!They seemall sweet and precious to me.I love how and the resonings for your childrens names!!!Sorry Im not much help over here.I LOVE all of them!

Carrie said...

I love Bethany. I think it fits well with the other kids names.
I love the way you pick names.
Its funny because Jim and I refuse to share any names that we like. We aren't pregnant yet (can you send me some of the water you drink), but we already know names that we like and we don't tell people because inevitably someone says "Really?" or "I know a kid name that and he was a real jerk." But your point is a very valid one. Hmmm....we will have to think about that.

willmottfamily said...

Scott has always said that if we had triplet girls we would name them Faith, Hope and Charity. I like Hope the best. And Bethany is good, too, but very close to Becca... not that I should talk because I have Patrick and parker. But people get them mixed up all the time. Anyways, all good choices!

Ken-Ken said...

Oh, I LOVE the name faith, and charity, very peaceful names. I love them! I don't like bethany because it sounds Just like becca. But faith, is what Tim and Brenda want, So ends up with Hope and Charity. Charity is kind of an OLDER name, So Think it should be Hope, a VERY beutiful name and cristlike.

Nutmeg said...

Beth sounds nothing like Becca...except the B. But I would chose Beth, Delilah I have always liked too. Hope,faith and charity just seem way to over used by really churchy people..no offense anyone please.
love any however