Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

We're having a _______!

So we had an ultrasound and found out what the sex of our next baby is. This is the earliest we have found out the sex before, which is pretty cool. Steve really felt like we were having a boy and I pretty much trusted in that for quite a while. But as the ultrasound approached, I started thinking maybe it was actually a girl. I was bracing myself for it at least.
This next ultrasound image is looking up from under the legs at the bottom. There is a shadow of some kind of blurry things in-between the legs, but they are not connected to that bottom, so don't get confused. It could just be the umbilical cord and placenta.So when the technician said it was a girl, Steve was shocked and I was thinking "figures." I actually felt pretty happy about it and came down with a fit of the giggles for the remainder of the ultrasound. The technician said she was 100% positive it was girl and I think it looked pretty clear too. All our daughters were there and obviously were thrilled to add another to their estrogen legion. But Jonah on the other hand started sobbing. (I don't blame him. He's going to be in the thick of PMS h*** in about 6 years.) It was pretty pathetic. As we were in the waiting area afterwards, Jonah couldn't stop his despairing cry and other people sitting around started feeling sorry for him and trying to console him. Steve and I felt pretty bad for him too.
We all went out to eat at the restaurant of Jonah's choice right after that to try and cheer him up. And he seemed to get used to the idea by the time we had dessert.
I on the other hand had more of a tough time with the idea of another girl the more I thought about it. Steve and I both really thought there was another son for us. It's not that I don't love girls. It's not that I will struggle loving this child. It's not that I wont really enjoy dressing her and so forth. It's not that I'm ungrateful! It's that being pregnant is so hard! It's definitely the hardest thing I have ever done. It's extremely difficult for all of us when I'm pregnant. This pregnancy has been my easiest for sure, but still super hard! And if we are to have another son, well, that would likely mean, I would need to be pregnant again or we'd have to adopt I guess.
But I can say now that today I have felt better about it. Not just better; I even feel excited. Things have settled for me in my mind and I think it's all as God wants. And I know that God knows best for sure. Many people are wondering if that means we are done having kids or not. And I don't know if I know that answer for sure myself yet. It sure would be nice to be done!!! But I don't know if that is what's right yet.
Today is also the day a year ago that I delivered our 2nd baby boy. I admit it still hurts a little to think about it. I still wish he were here and would have made it to my arms alive. I still cry about it occasionally. But on the other hand, I feel like there had to be a good reason for it. A reason that is for our best interest. I don't know what that reason is, but I don't feel the need to know it now either. I will know someday. Either way, I've healed emotionally from that almost entirely. Almost...
So that's about the gist of my personal thoughts and feelings on baby matters.

16 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Yay! A girl cousin for our little girl! We're so excited - but we would have been excited if it was a boy. Now I can send you some of my homemade bows as gifts!! Yay!!

Emily said...

I'm really excited for you! I can understand your initial disapointment, but I'm glad you are over it and are excited. Poor Jonah. I hope he is getting more used to the idea now. I hope you made it through the rest of the day with the memory of a year ago. You are amazingly strong and I admire and love you so much.

Memzy said...

Well after a day like today I will totally let you adopt one of MY boys.

Ha!! Just kidding.

But srsly, congrats on a healthy baby girl. And hope you are feeling good with what remains of your pregnancy

Swasey family said...

I'm so happy for you guys!just soooo excited.I'm witht he last post you wanna borrow some boys I got 2!!!2 year olds also!Congrats guys!!!

mitzi said...

Girls and boys are equally fun. But you get to dress up girls a little longer! Congratulations on your sweet baby girl! Are you going to share her name with us before she comes along?

Unknown said...

When we told Lindsay that another brother was on the way she too burst into tears...I said, "Lindsay this is what Heavenly Father wanted to give us". She said. "Mom, Doesn't Heavenly Father know that I already have two brothers?!"

your baby looks healthy. all the accessories that she needs. I am happy for you..

Lisa said...

Congratulations! Little girls rock! There are so many cute pictures you can take with little girls! Seriously, I will take you up on the offer of a photo shoot, if when the time comes it works for both of us! One can never have too many shopping companions! Again, congrats!

Markie23 said...

You have a gift for making sweet little girls. You must just have a better recipe than the rest.

E said...

Congrats! I suspect girl's rule, but I don't know for sure since I don't have any. Go pink team!

Cristin said...

GRATS!!! Girls Rock but if you ever feel like you guys want another boy, I'll send over Bub for the day...it will for sure stomp out any desire for another boy...I have a life time guarantee on that. hahaha

I totally get your feelings about having to go through pregnancy. I too had 24/7 9 months of pregnancy sickness, though I don't think it was to the same extent. After our 3rd, I was for sure NEVER going to do that again. And if it had been up to me I wouldn't but I'm sure glad I went through it one more time. 9 months out of a lifetime really is a short span of time...though it doesn't feel that way when your going through it.

Sarah said...

I've thought about you lately knowing that it was about this time a year ago that everything was going on. This past year has solidified my testimony that nothing happens on our own terms and HF has his own plan for us.

Girls are pretty special and you guys have beautiful daughters, inside and out!

Hazel said...

If it makes you feel any better, I was always disappointed when I found out I was having a boy...both times. I wanted a house full of girls. I thought boys weren't for me, and boy was I wrong.

Just remember, trying again doesn't guarantee you a boy. I know a lot of people with a bazillion kids cause they thought they would try again.

Kam said...

Oh Amanda. Another girl? Wow. We're excited for you, and can understand the mixed feelings you've described here. Poor Jonah. I hope he can be okay with things, and love this little one and get close to her anyway. I hadn't realized it's been a whole year since baby Benjamin. What a year it's been for you! We keep praying things are okay for you guys. We miss you.

willmottfamily said...

Wow, I can't imagine a house of girls. It could be worse... my friend has 5 boys, 0 girls. At least you have one boy, right? (not to mention the other little guy who didn't make it). Poor, Jonah.

Sara M. Carter said...

awsome! (im a girl lol) if it was my chose, i'd name her "Kelly" anyway, somebody please be my friend!

Robyn said...

Poor Jonah! I hope he has settled into the idea of having another sister. I know how hard it must be for him to be the only son. It just makes him that much more special.

PS I still cry over missing my little girl and it's been 4 years.