Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

All about the day I went to Middle School

Our oldest child Celeste is a genius. She is just brilliant, and always has been. The problem is, this last year she has been a terrible student. She's lost interest in her classes and lacks the motivation to complete her work. She can do great on tests, but fails in her other academic responsibilities. This has been a huge disappointment to Steve and I. If she was stupid and got poor grades, we'd let it go. But she's too smart to get the grades she has gotten lately.
We've talked to her extensively about getting those grades up. The how's, the why's, the threats, the incentives, etc., etc. Still bad grades. We were desperately trying to help her out with this, but nothing we were doing was working. So I decided to go to school with her one day.
That day I got a babysitter and I just showed up at her school. I got her schedule from the front desk and walked right into her class. The look on her face when I stepped in that door...a total look of shock, embarrassment, pride, happiness, and shame, all mixed into one priceless expression. They were in math and moving around the classroom in groups solving various problems. I joined her group. It was actually fun. Then I followed her to the rest of her classes and sat with her in each one. I nagged her about taking notes, getting her papers and assignments turned in, staying on task, and so forth. We ate lunch together in the lunch room. Kids were asking why the heck I was there. I told them frankly. And surprisingly enough, they all reacted like I was pretty darn cool.
I asked Celeste how she felt about me being there. She was not really embarrassed when it was all said and done. But she did not like having me there breathing down her neck. She decided she would do better in school in order to avoid me showing up there again.
Overall, it was a great day.

5 comments:

Cristin said...

That is awesome!!!!

Kam said...

You must have mentioned this on fb? We got a good laugh out of it, and, like the kids, concluded that it was a "darn cool" move!!

Markie23 said...

Blessed is the stupid child, for theirs is the right to get bad grades without raising any eyebrows.

Unknown said...

Ahh.. the middle school years...Middle school is a tough adjustment.All of those hormones getting in the way of clear thinking..peer pressure..acceptance...I cringe when I think if my junior high self..FYI my "smart" kids who struggled with bad grades in middle school are doing great in high school...we don't have to monitor them with their homework on a daily basis anymore..they are self-motivated...I am sure sure her grades will pick up...

Pearl Girl said...

HAH, i love this, I am so doing this, or at least threatening. Good job. As for Santa??? eeek, I have no idea. I never knew how to handle it, and none of my kids have ever believed. they are old enough I would probably just tell them the truth. Let them help you surprise the little ones.