Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Jehovah's Witness


So I can't sleep. I'll tell you why. I can't stop thinking about my visit with the Jehovah's Witness ladies I had today. They've come over a few times and I actually get amused by it. I told them straight up the first time they came that I would welcome their visits because I'd like to share my beliefs with them. It's been an interesting experience. I think I've grown from it. Today was a bit frustrating though because I wasn't able to express myself the way I had hoped. And now that I've been thinking about things more since they've left, I want them back to tell them what more I've thought of. And so I can't sleep! Let me tell you some of the things I've learned since I've been meeting with these lovely ladies.
#1- The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints is DEFINITELY true!
#2- I need to increase my understanding and knowledge of the Bible. How can I claim to be a member of Christ's true church and not know the Bible as well as they do? Bad girl!
#3- The Spirit is the best teacher.
I guess I already knew these things, but visiting with the J.W. makes this knowledge even firmer in my mind.
There is no disputing one thing. That is the distinct feelings I get. When I study the Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I feel peace, happiness, comfort, enlightenment. When I learn about other religions, I get all kinds of interesting feelings, but none of them are the ones that I have come to enjoy and crave. I find other religions to be fascinating and curious. But frankly when these ladies have taught me their beliefs, I feel blah, confused, and not really happy. So to me, this is a no brainer. Follow the beliefs that enrich my life and bring me joy.
I just feel like telling everyone that I do have a strong testimony of my church. I love it. I could go on and on about the experiences I have had that have confirmed this knowledge to me, but I'll spare you. I am grateful for my church. I really do love it!
I do have a deep respect for the Jehovah's Witnesses though. I appreciate their devotion to their faith. They know the Bible better than most people I think. They are asked to do a lot of door to door preaching. They do not celebrate holidays or birthdays. That can be tough for a kid in school. Celeste has a girl in her class that is Jehovah's Witness and it can be a challenge for her I am sure with all that she passes on at school and among friends. I respect that. They are very good people.

6 comments:

Dalana and Mark said...

Thanks for sharing your recent experiences with the JW ladies and your testimony. That is nice that you take the time to let them in and talk with them in hopes of sharing some of your own beliefs with them. I need to follow your example and be a better missionary and like you, I need to be more familiar w/ the teachings of the Bible. This was a great entry. I hope you managed to get some sleep last night.

Emily said...

That was nice to read this morning. You are amazing. I have always admired your testimony and your ability to share it freely. Thanks for sharing that.

Anna B said...

Amen!

Andrew Waite said...

i'd take a JW "Jay Dub" over a kirby salesman ANYDAY!

Andrew Waite said...

Speak of the devil! I kid you not, just after i left my last comment, the doorbell rings... and who should be standing on my front porch? Thats right! WITNESSES!!!! TWO OF THEM!!!! AND THEY WANT TO STUDY THE BIBLE WITH ME!!!! Unfortunatly we are about to go to the pumpkin patch and our house is a mess so we told them to come back another time. How about that?

Elizabeth Bailey Waite said...

Amanda, I loved your post! You are the dearest! I admire you so much! I wish you could be here at the discussions we have with Scott. He is so sweet and open. He should be easy for the spirit to touch. Keep us all in your prayers.