Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Official Church Doctrine Announced

So today in General Conference I heard the most amazing counsel given. I've never heard the Church come out with any statements on blogging. But Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the 12 did today. He said, and I quote, "leave a comment on a blog". Scouts honor, that's what he said! Read it yourself when your November Ensign comes out and I will pay you cash if I am wrong. So you all know we could be doing a little bit better; standing a little taller and reaching a little higher. And yes, leaving more comments on blogs. Thanks Elder Hales for the inspiring message!


On a different topic, but still Sunday worthy:

A long time ago I went to a great party that Steve's Aunt Cindy put on. It was a wonderful time. Cindy asked us some tough questions just for the fun of it. And I've thought back on those ever since.



If you could meet anybody who is alive or who has ever lived on the earth who would you choose?
My answer was immediately Christ and Eve. What would I say to them?

I don't feel like there is anything adequate I could say to Christ. But I would love to hug him; if I could remain on my feet that is.

I am dying to ask Eve what it was like being the first woman on earth. I have a million questions for her. I would ask her what her first pregnancy was like. Did she wonder what was going on inside of her? Did she have a clue as to how long it was going to last? What was the delivery like? and so on. I have thought many times about her and what it must have been like being the first woman not having your mother there to tell you about all those things.



If you could live one day in history when would you choose?
I would say either in Adam and Eve's time right at the beginning of the earth's existence. Wouldn't it be fascinating to see how drastically different things were then? No roads, buildings, cars, electronics, toys, etc... I bet they could see many more stars in the sky than we can today with all of the light and air pollution we've got.

Or if not then, I would also like to see ancient America at about AD 34.



What about you guys?

16 comments:

E said...

You're assuming that you're the only person who watched conference. Of course I heard the "leave a comment or else" council. Geez.

Hmm. Those questions are tough. I would probably have about ten responses to both of them.

Hazel said...

Reading comments left on my blog feeds my soul. That is good counsel. Not that I need to have comment to feel wanted or important. I just like em, that's all.

ManicMandee said...

Jenny, of course I don't assume I am the only one who watched conference. I get the impression you think I am self-righteous from other things you have noted and I totally don't want to be that way. I had just kind of dosed off at that moment when Elder Hales said that (who has ever made it through all of the sessions without dosing off?) and it really snapped me out of it and caught my attention. I bet there were some out there that may not have caught it. If I need to start confessing what a rotten person I really am to convince you I'm not, nor do I think I am perfect, let me know and I will oblige.

Hot Pants said...

I prefer to follow the counsel of our leaders. Until they specifically mention diet coke, anyway.
I will have to think awhile about those answers. I will probably pick someone else, then we can share our answers. Kind of spreading the knowledge more.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

They'll never specifically point out Diet Dr. Pepper so I'm safe. I laughed at the blog comment. Those cute old men know what is going on in the world!

You answers are so good... my answers would fall somewhere along the lines of Will Smith and whatever that day was that Edward met Bella. So, you see, you and I are on different wave lengths!

Diane said...

I left a comment... does that mean I'm saved? :)

You are too funny!!
:) Diane

Markie23 said...

That was my favorite conference moment. I immediately commented to Cherie that I bet that was the first time blogs had ever been mentioned in General Conference.
I have to say I have loved the time and place I was born in. I have never had to worry about fighting in a war. The majority of my life has been spent in times of relative peace and prosperity in America. I love the modern conveniences and technology of this age. I have to say however that I feel very nervous for the future. Maybe its because I feel so blessed so far, and I just have this crazy idea that the Lord's plan doesn't call for an entire generation to live their lives in peace and happiness (the Nephites after Christ's visit being the only exception I know of). Recent events seem to remind us of how easily and quickly things can change. I don't really want to get all political here, but I don't remember feeling in previous elections, to this extent, that so much is at stake. Sorry to be a downer. I still stand by my feeling that there is no other time that I would rather have lived (Zarahemla after Christ's visit being the exception)

Memzy said...

Oh I TOTALLY caught that comment and gave Shed a "knowing look" immediately after believachoo me.

1. I'd wanna meet Paul Newman RIGHT before be married whatserface. I'm dead serious. That guy is HAWT.

2. I want to live in the time of Star Wars. Preferrably being Padme's BFF.

Hot Pants said...

I guess I'll get back to my canning. Thanks Debbie, I mean, Mark.

Anna B said...

Why? Don't you know that Adam & Eve lived for like forever. I'm hoping I go before I'm 90. Who wants to live till they are like 800 or something like that.

Thanks for hanging with us all day.

E said...

MM--Oh my goodness, now I'm going back through your blog, obsessively reading every comment I ever left to see why you would say that about me. I don't think you're self-righteous in the least. You're constantly striving to be a more righteous person, but you are so sincere, so aware of your own imperfections, I could never mistake that for self-righteousness. I think you are very charming. I admire you. I've never felt the tiniest amount of judgment from you (er, except right now). I'm sorry my comment made you feel bad. I meant it sarcastically. I DIDN'T watch conference... yet. (I did TiVo it.) I was meaning my comment like, "you're assuming I didn't watch it" ::looking around guilty:: because I actually hadn't watched it. Just reread it and see if that makes sense. I just typed it fast and hit publish. I will definitely try to make my meaning clearer in the future, now that we've been counseled to leave comments on blogs.

I understand where you're coming from. I sometimes get the impression that people hate my guts from the comments they leave on my blog. Usually I make myself interpret them positively, but sometimes I can't stop myself from jumping in there and going, "what's yer dill?"

BTW, after comparing the comments we've left on each others blogs, I'd have to say it's pretty clear that I like you more than you like me. What do you think? I dedicated a whole post to you and you totally dissed it. It's cool though...

Mikki said...

Loved that comment, they definitely know what's happening in the world. It was a good conference to listen to.

I'd need to think long and hard about those questions, but I'm sure my answers would definitely not be as deep as yours :)

Emily said...

I missed it--but Rob told me about it. I love that our elderly G.A's are up to date on what's "in."

Anonymous said...

I didn't go the the conference but I do think that commenting on blogging is important to help to build social circles and spread thing that we've heard.

Anonymous said...

oops that last comment didn't link to my site.

Jennifer P. said...

you bet I took note of that blog comment thing!!! In fact, the whole Ensign from a few months back that talked about blogging as a missionary tool FINALLY got my in-laws off my back about my, uh, fetish :).

I LOVED your thoughts on who you would meet. Is it not amazing that you WILL meet them one day? And see the whole scope of the earth pass before your eyes like a dream? I can't wait!.....