Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Rodeo


Today we had our Bishop Family Reunion. It was really nice seeing everyone and it got my mind off of the need to pack. Mostly.
But tonight we all went to the rodeo. I've been to a rodeo once before a few years ago. I didn't like it then. I hated it tonight.
It started with the arrival. Seeing people sporting their cowboy hats, boots and gigantic belt buckles made me roll my eyes. Come on people! Why?!
The beginning of the show was fine. However, they had mutton bustin first. Tears immediately sprang up in my eyes. I know it's nuts. You're thinking I am just PMS'n - but not so. Just emotional. Something about seeing cute little children about to break their necks riding wildly on sheep made the motherly instinct in me cringe and then cry.
Then someone gave a prayer. Wow a prayer I thought! But the guy giving the “prayer” really just gave a sermon about peace in the world. I'm all for peace but I get bugged by sermons disguised as “prayers”. Then they had this patriotic part with a lot more preaching about our wonderful servicemen. Just fine for me. They sang the national anthem. I did like that too. The last good part of the show was turning the lights out and girls riding around in the arena with red white and blue Christmas lights all over them.
Then it turned sour.
The actual rodeo part began and I was not getting how it was entertaining to see a guy get thrown around by a horse. Thoughts like: “Does he go to a good chiropractor? Does that horse have a clue as to how much his life sucks? Are all of these cowboys sterile from riding like that?” came to mind.
It would have been fine, but Jonah was having one of his episodes. If you haven't seen Jonah in an episode, you can't understand. He just kept crying for this or that and would not stop! He would stand in front of us and keep nagging and crying for cotton candy, that cost $3, a drink or to go back to Grandma's house...Whatever. He made an unpleasant experience unbearable! We finally dragged our kids out of there; Jonah and Eden fighting us all the way out to the car. My migraine had come much earlier and I was beat. We actually paid $46 for THIS! We are back now and I just had to vent. Now you all know how I like lists. Here' s a list of things I'd rather do than a repeat of tonight:

*Change an elderly person's diaper.
*Scoop up Sunny and Cher's poop out of Anna's yard. (Her dogs.)
*Be in bed with the flu.
*Pick someone else's nose.
*Scrub all of my toilets.
You get the idea.

YEEEHAWW!

9 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Amanda,
I can feel your pain about the rodeo. I kept thinking about the animals and how it can't be fun all your life to be ridden, roped, and basically made to act upset and scared most of your life. At least you lasted as long as you did! And I was glad to see you guys, so I appreciate all the effort you put into coming.

TimW8 said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy your rodeo experience. Personally I love the rodeo. Especially little kids riding sheep. That looked like fun. One thing I don't like is when bulls step on riders and chrush the life out of them. That sucks.

willmottfamily said...

Okay - so I just tried catchin gup on your past blogs, and I found the one about old friends. It's so funny how we shared so many friends from the past. Here is what I know...
Liz - no idea, but I wonder, too. And Becky. And Rachel.
Grant - no idea, but his little brother married Sarah Daniels (remember her?).
Paul - last I heard still not married and playing for a symphony in Utah.
Jeff commented on my blog, so I checked out his. I wonder about so many people, too!
Have you tried facebook?

Cristin said...

Yeah, I wondered about the belt buckles too. I can understand the heavy duty jeans, hats and boots but seriously, big buckles can't make your life easier or comfortable.

Sorry you didn't have fun and spent lots of money not having fun. I totally understand the Jonah thing, I have Hyrum...I TOTALLY get it.

E said...

I could get down with the country folks for a night or so, but I don't know how they keep up their honky-tonk style 24/7. The whole getup seems exhausting.

Emily said...

::Laughing HARD::

Jennifer P. said...

The Snake River Stampede was sooooooo much fun when I was a little girl and it was held outdoors in the rickety old arena and there was old country music (like Roy Rogers and Sons of the Pioneers) blaring over the loud speakers. But they ruined it when they overly-commercialized it. I'd rather do all those gross things then go now too! (and I'll even throw sticking my arm in a clogged up garbage disposal too :)!).

I didn't think your blog looked bad at all before, but now it's all hot-cha-cha! Love all the green!!!

Jennifer P. said...

and I just realized I was listening to your Violent Femmes--I thought I had my itunes on. I've never met anyone else that liked them :)!

Robyn said...

I've never been to a rodeo and I will never go. They are so cruel to those animals. You do know how they get them to buck, don't you? When I see bits of the rodeo on TV and I see a rider getting thrown off and trampled, I have ZERO sympathy. I think the whole thing is ridiculous.