Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

This past week

We had a busy week and I thought I'd tell you about it.
We have been packing ourselves ragged. On Wednesday our moving truck arrived. We've been gradually filling it and we are running out of space. We were hoping to get all the work done by yesterday but there is still a few more hours of work left to do. The truck is supposed to be picked up tomorrow. Today we are enjoying the much needed rest though! Tomorrow will be an entirely different story.
My book club was supposed to meet this week. My friend Megan is in it and she told me that we were going to have our little book club meet at Olive Garden this month since I am moving away. (There are 6 of us in the group.) She picked me up and took me there and to my surprise there were 12 friends there! I was really touched by that and I had such a great time. I got a really sweet gift from Robyn too.
So to the topic of friends. I consider anyone that I would feel comfortable calling up and asking to go out a “friend”. Not that I do that. I get too busy. But I WOULD do that. That's the point. Up until the last couple of years I haven't really made friends. I've kept a few old ones, but not really made new ones. Steve is such a wonderful friend to me that I guess I didn't ever feel the need. And now that I am moving away, I find that for the first time in my married life I've got about 20 people that I can honestly call my “friends”. All right here in town too ---where we will no longer be. Some from church, some from dance, and a couple of neighbors.
At this point I can let the cat out of the bag and tell you where we are because I want to tell you some of the things I will miss about Boise Idaho.
1- My friends and our family.
2- Our baby boy's grave.
3-The awesome library system. Boise has the best libraries and programs I have ever seen. I have gone to the library almost weekly for the past 6 years. And I've relished tons of great free reading. My children love the library too. Celeste is a book worm through and through.
4- The nice drivers. There are so many nice, polite drivers in Boise. Of course rude Californians have invaded our turf and tainted our good record, but for the most part Boise has the nicest drivers of any city I've lived in. (I was one of those rude Californians years back, but was converted to being a nice driver in a hurry.)
5- The great family programs and activities there are to offer. There are so many fun things to do as a family here! We started a family tradition 5 years ago called “Family Fun Day”. On Saturdays we take our kids out to do something fun as a family. And it hasn't been hard to find something each week all those years. We've got some favorites that we've done repeatedly. We've made many great memories! But I am excited to move where we are going because I think there will be a lot of new material to cover for our FFD's.

Finally, I want to tell you about our last FFD in Idaho. Last night we went to the Twin Falls Temple Open House. It was such a special experience. Jonah was surprisingly calm the entire time in the temple. All of our children were. If you know me, you know I have a little obsession with temples. I love the Spirit I feel there and all the life changing experiences I've had in those beautiful edifices. The peace and comfort I feel there is not to be matched anywhere else. (This was the 28th temple I have seen in person.)
Afterwards we went to see Shoshone Falls. I thought it was impressive! We were so glad we took a break from the move to go down there. It was the best FFD ever.

Some of my beautiful Young Women came too. I love these girls!






11 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad your friends showed you how much they love you. I'm sure you will miss Boise (it's one of my favorite cities), but Utah will have new and exciting things for you! I wish I was there to help you, I know how stressful moving is. Keep us posted and good luck with everything. I love you!

E said...

I've lived in LV for going on 9 years, made a few friends that eventually moved away, and I'm just now starting to make new "local" friends again. It'll make it harder to move.

I miss Boise, too, sometimes. What I miss the most is my family that lives there, the nice people that live there, and the nice neighborhoods.

I have to disagree with you about those Boise drivers. One of the most annoying parts of visiting is driving behind those horrible drivers that go 5-10 miles UNDER the speed limit. Not that I'm in a hurry or anything.

OH, and thanks for the brillante blog award! What, is that Italian or something? When I saw that, I was like, "Aw shucks," and kicked a stone with the toe of my boot, with my thumbs tucked in my overalls.

Anna B said...

I'm sorry you will miss Boise but so HAPPY you are moving to Utah. You are making one of my "Wildest Dreams Come True". (Said like Napolien Dynomite.) I can't wait till you get here.

Memzy said...

Change is always good and bad. Mixed emotions often accompany those sorts of things. I feel happy and sad for you all at once. Good luck. You'll have lots of adventures ahead.

eekareek said...

You will be missed!!! I hope you will come up for the Bailey Christmas party. It won't be the same without you.

Jennifer P. said...

I loved this post! Makes me happy to live here :)---I love all the things about Boise that you do.

I was so happy to see Megan at church accepting a calling. We'll keep an eye on her while you're gone. I know I met her at my Christmas party, but I'll make sure to introduce myself again.

You are my HERO for getting packed so fast---AND still finding time to blog! You and your whole family will be missed for sure. But can't wait to see all the new adventures you get to have, with your sisters by your side :)!

BEST TO YOU!

Anonymous said...

I love the family fun day idea. I think I may dub all Saturday outings family fun ones. I am sooo excited you are moving and I would like to volunteer us for unpacking duty.

willmottfamily said...

I don't check your blog enough to keep up! But when I do, isn't ALWAYS fun for me. I wish I could be better about my blog. Oh well. Hmmm, I think I know who the heartbreak was from, don't I? And I would agree, a similar experience was the worst pain I ever felt (at least longest-lasting). I even had a former boyfriend who was still a good friend die when he was only 23. The heartbreak was worse.

Email me your new addy... good luck on the move!

willmottfamily said...

I don't check your blog enough to keep up! But when I do, isn't ALWAYS fun for me. I wish I could be better about my blog. Oh well. Hmmm, I think I know who the heartbreak was from, don't I? And I would agree, a similar experience was the worst pain I ever felt (at least longest-lasting). I even had a former boyfriend who was still a good friend die when he was only 23. The heartbreak was worse.

Email me your new addy... good luck on the move!

Amber Waite said...

I LOVE your FFD idea! What a great thing to spend time with your family and do something new and exciting together. The temple is such a great place to be. You have totally inspired me to start my own FFD. What are some of the other things you've done? Maybe it's just Bakersfield but my problem is that I can never think of things to so.

Markie23 said...

Will you have a fundraiser to provide shoes for the unfortunate Young Women in your ward before you leave?