Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Follow up and book review

Hey everyone. Thanks for your kind words and support. I LOVE my friends and family! I want you to all know that I really am doing fine. I can't lie to you, I was not doing well at first. But I can honestly say now that I am happy and at peace.
I have so much I feel like writing about. But I settled on giving you a book review for now. (I know you are all wishing I hadn't.)
The reason: This book I just read helped me during this difficult time.
I like to listen to books that I can download onto my mp3 player from the library. Free. Pretty cool the library does that. Audio books are not cheap. That way I can be productive while I am filling my mind with all kinds of information or entertainment. Rather than sit on my ever-enlarging bottom reading a book. This month I listened to "The Phantom of the Opera." I really enjoyed that. I also listened to "Anne of Green Gables." I enjoyed that too. The movie followed the book almost perfectly. So you probably don't need to rush out and read the book. But I keep finding myself thinking dramatic thoughts. Anne was so dramatic and she managed to rub off on me a bit. Fictitious as she was. And I guess I was dramatic before anyways. She'd always say things like "I am in the depths of despair!" For a while I always take on a different language when I read a book. But I digress... Sorry.
This past Sunday when I was laid up in bed, I read "The Hiding Place" by Corrie TenBoom. I read this book for the first time when I was pregnant with Becca. I thought it was amazing. Since then I have listened to it twice. My friend Robyn wanted to start a book club and asked me to choose the first book. Being a lazy bum, I decided to choose "The Hiding Place" because I remember liking it and I had also been through it three times. That way I didn't have to read a book this month if I didn't find the time. But when I was in bed on Sunday I had it by the bed and decided to pick it up. I ended up reading the whole thing that day. It wasn't hard to do. I had forgotten how religious this book is. It is not an LDS book but is very spiritual. I was reading it and thinking about Robyn who has an aversion to organized religion. I enjoy having spiritual conversations with her though. She's one fascinating girl and a great friend. Anyhow, I hope she isn't bugged by me choosing this book. We'll see at our group review.
"The Hiding Place" is a book about a Christian family in WW2 Holland who hid Jews and ended up in concentration camps. True story. It is an amazing and inspirational story. Corrie, the author and main character tells a story of when she was a child and had heard the word "sexsin" at school and didn't know what it meant. It bothered her. Soon thereafter she was on a short train ride with her father. As the ride was ending, she asked her father what it meant. He paused, then stood up and asked her to carry the case off the train. She stood and tugged at it but it was too heavy for her to carry. She told him she couldn't carry it because it was too heavy. Here's his reply, and I quote from the book "Yes. And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you." She was satisfied with that answer. And so am I. She knew that for that time, she was content to leave all those hard questions and answers in her father's keeping. That story helped me. I kept asking God questions like "why" and so on. I wondered if only I hadn't participated in that race on Saturday, would I be going through what I was on Sunday? Then I read this from the book "There are no 'ifs' in God's world. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety...let us pray that we may always know it."
Before I go on way too long, (which I guess I have already,) I'll leave this post as it is and encourage you all to check this book out if you get the chance.

7 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

That didn't feel too long at all. I loved it! I love the way Heavenly Father puts just what we need to hear (or read) in front of us. Some of the stuff we want may take time, but His wisdom and promises seem available almost immediately. I am SOOOOO happy that you are a little more at peace. I'll keep praying for you anyway, because I'm sure a little extra help for a little longer can't hurt ;).

Anna B said...

I have read this book too and I just remember how emotional I felt at the end and how much gratitude I felt for all MY blessings. I need to read it again. I loved your feelings about the book and I LOVE YOU!

Dalana and Mark said...

Great post Amanda! I am so happy to hear that you are doing well. There is nothing greater than feeling peace, in my opinion. Thanks for the book review. Sounds like a really good book. I like WWII books, so I'll for sure have to give it a read some time. Mark and I just got, The Host, and I've read a little so far. Doesn't suck you in like The Twilight series (at least I don't think so).

Robyn said...

Don't worry, Amanda, I liked this book a lot.

I love that quote also. I love how Corrie's father handled such a difficult question in such a wise way. I want to be parent like that. And I like the way Corrie repeats that quote from her father throughout the book.

I don't want to get too into this so I won't have anything to say when we get together, but there is another part that I love and that's towards the end when the sister says they must thank God for everything, including the fleas. Corrie doesn't want to, but she does anyway and it turns out that fleas save them. I like it because even the crummy things in life can be a blessing. You're right - I don't like organized religion, but I still believe in God and I thank him for everthing He has given me, even the not so good things. My much wanted and loved little girl was taken from me, but she has still enriched my life and I am thankful for the very brief time that we got to spend together. I will always love and miss her and I hope that I will get to see her again.

Emily said...

You are awesome.

I haven't read this book but REALLY want to! Now that schools out I'm going to buy it and read it. Thanks for the review and for being such a great example to so many. You really are a good soul and I love you more than you know. I miss you!

Memzy said...

Oooooh, I LOVE book recommendations! Thanks so much, imma go out and get it right away!

E said...

I love that example you mentioned from the book. I think I would have to be in the right "mood" to read this book. Lately, I've been reading a lot of middle-grade/YA adventure--I just started the Chronicles of Narnia series. I'm still halfheartedly fighting my way through The Host... not my kind of book, but I hate the feeling of leaving a book unfinished.