Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Earlobes

This is a random story, but I was telling Celeste about this and she enjoyed it. So I thought it just might be post worthy.



In 8th grade Biology class we were learning about genetics. I enjoyed biology by the way. The lesson was on dominant vs. recessive genes. We were given an assignment to fill out a questionnaire about ourselves; thus diagnosing whether or not we have the dominant or recessive gene in various physical characteristics. "Is your hair curly or straight?" My answer: Neither. Nappy. "Can you curl your tongue, or can you flip it instead?" My answer: Curl it. "What color are your eyes?" My answer: Blue. And so on.



I was sitting at my desk filling out my questionnaire. Friend "A" was on my left side sitting at her desk. Friend "B" was sitting at my right at her desk. Both were doing their questionnaires as well. I get to the question: "Are your earlobes attached or dangling?" Hmmm, I think to myself. I don't know??? I ask my friends beside me. "Hey guys. Are my earlobes attached or dangling?" Friend "A" says "dangling." Friend "B" on my left says "attached." An argument ensues. Before too long we realize that Friend "A" is seeing this



and friend "B" is seeing this.



Yep, I am pretty much a freak of nature.
Turns out my Dad has the dominant gene for "free earlobes" also known as "G". Mom has the recessive gene for attached also known as "g". In order for me to have attached earlobes, I either need to have 2 copies of dominant gene aka "GG" or I can merely have one of each, "Gg". To have attached earlobes, I must have both recessive copies of the gene aka "gg". So how did I end up with one of each kind of earlobes?

13 comments:

eekareek said...

One ear is also more tan than the other.

E said...

Ears are freaky in general. If you were an alien, seeing humans for the first time, ears would be the freakiest thing about us.

Hot Pants said...

I am calling Barnum and Bailey.

Memzy said...

Well, look at it this way. At least you don't have mickey mouse ears like I do. Does anyone EVER notice that about you? Cuz I remember you telling me that and it still took me a few times looking back and forth to see it!

Emily said...

I love this story! You are a freak of nature, but in a good way:)

willmottfamily said...

I never would have noticed that. I don't think the recessive gene theory always applies. Scott has blue eyes, I have brown. We have one child with brown, one with blue, and one green/hazel. Does that pass the test? Biology was way too long ago.

Mikki said...

Amanda you are so weird. Just kidding. I'll have to check that out the next time I see you. I just look at my own kids and don't understand how the whole dominant recessive thing works. I've got one kid with blonde hair and blue eyes. One with dark brown hair and brown eyes. The last is a lighter brown haired with hazel eyes. I'm not sure where the mix came from. Interesting topic though.

Dalana and Mark said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I had to feel and see which type of earlobes I had. Now I'm probably going to look at other people's ears more often.

Jennifer P. said...

Alrighty--that IS just plain freaky :)! Because my children don't look much like me, the fact that they have dangling earlobes like mine is one of the only ways I can be sure that they didn't switch all four of my babies at birth!

At least your earrings look pretty on both earlobe types!

Anonymous said...

Im at work and was just about to break my diet and eat this danish I stole when I started to look at your ears! Thank you for grossing me out helping me to stick to my diet and put back the stolen merchandise! Your the best Amanda

Kam said...

Oh yes, I remember doing that same questionnaire way-back-when. That's really interesting and cool... something totally unique about Amanda! Wow! Thanks for sharing. And I agree those are cute earrings. My freakishness is in my ULTRA LONG toes, especially that second toe that is sooo long, probably the same length as my baby fingers.

Kam said...

Oh yes, I remember doing that same questionnaire way-back-when. That's really interesting and cool... something totally unique about Amanda! Wow! Thanks for sharing. And I agree those are cute earrings. My freakishness is in my ULTRA LONG toes, especially that second toe that is sooo long, probably the same length as my baby fingers.

Kam said...

Oh yes, I remember doing that same questionnaire way-back-when. That's really interesting and cool... something totally unique about Amanda! Wow! Thanks for sharing. And I agree those are cute earrings. My freakishness is in my ULTRA LONG toes, especially that second toe that is sooo long, probably the same length as my baby fingers.