Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

Changes coming our way

After 7 years at Steve's company, he's decided to leave. He gave them his resignation today. He offered to work for the month of June, then off he goes to something new. His job was pretty good for about 5 years, then it got gradually not so good. He started looking for a new job casually a couple of years ago. With changes in management, about a year ago, it got bad. About 6 months ago, it got even worse. The kids and I haven't seen him around very much and when he is around, he is so stressed out with his job, it has really taken a toll on our family. The environment at work has been extremely difficult to deal with. We finally decided over the weekend that it wasn't worth it anymore. He has had some interviews lately and we are hopeful he'll get a new job soon. In the meantime, he thinks he'll try his hand at contract work. Fortunately, we are doing ok financially and we have enough saved to get us by for quite a while. And now he actually will have time to job hunt!
If anyone's got any leads, let us know. He's brilliant, in my partial opinion. Here's a little glimpse of his experience:
Graduated HS top of his class and got a full academic scholarship at BYU Provo.
Graduated from BYU with a bachelors degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering in 1995.(Math minor.) He's done programming, networking, IT and system administration the past 13 years. He worked professionally some before graduation as well.
Get with him if you want more details about his expertise; because I can't give you many more specifics.

7 comments:

Dalana and Mark said...

Sorry that it's been so hard for you all regarding Steve's job! In a way, I bet it's a relief to have made a decision and to be on to something new soon. Good luck w/ the job search! We'll keep the situation in our prayers. I hope that it doesn't take you guys away, but I know lots of other people hope that it does so it'll bring you closer to them. However it turns out, I just hope lots of happiness (and much less stressful times) are in store for your family.

Cristin said...

Good Luck Steve!

Sounds similar to what LM went through, except LM finally got laid off. Which was the best thing that happened to us as a family. He's so much happier and relaxed. It's sad to see your spouse stressed out with work. I had begged LM to leave his job for about a year because he was so unhappy. It's just not worth it.

Mikki said...

Since I've talked to you and I know that you really are okay, it really sucks when your spouse works for a place that makes them miserable, because they bring it home with them, even if they really try not to. So, good luck to Steve in the job hunt.

E said...

Yikes, this situation would absolutely terrify me. Good for you guys for being financially prepared! And it sounds like Steve will have no problem finding a new company. If he wants to be a pharmacist, Anthony could get him an application.

Jennifer P. said...

Congratulations!!! I know it's scary--but it sounds like you guys have things in line, and so it will be easier to treat it all like a fun adventure! My nephew is an engineer/IT guy and spent years unhappily laboring away at Micron. He finally went over to Idaho Power. They moved him to Pocatello, but he loves every day of his job. I don't know if that's at all helpful, and I certainly don't want to see you guys move away--but I thought I'd at least put that idea your way.

You will be in my prayers!

willmottfamily said...

Maybe Steve can find a job out here in the midwest? I would love to have you guys closer... but the economy in Michigan is in the tank. We'll keep our eyes open, though.

Markie23 said...

check out http://alumni.byu.edu/placement/