Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Girls Camp

Well, it was AWESOME!!!!! I had such a great time with the girls and the other Young Women leaders, I was actually a little sad to see it end. Only about half of our girls were able to make it up to camp, and so that was a bummer. But on the other hand, it made things easier for us to handle, and we had some more time to bond with the ones that were there. I adore them all. The following are some notes I found in my mailbox.
They surprised me but made me feel so good. I was very touched and grateful.
They know I prefer to be called "Amanda" over "Sister Bishop".
"Sister Bishop" makes me feel old and it sounds too formal. Very fun girls! NO fights, tears and friendship breakups the entire time. It was a miracle.
Our group below.
My two counselors were there the entire time, and one of our advisers.
These ladies are a BLAST! We stayed up too late every night in our tent gabbing.
One girl went home sick before we took this :( Poor girl.
The last night we had my secretary and Laurel adviser come up along with our Bishop.
Our Bishop is so much fun! He stayed up with us until 11pm the last night playing this game with us in which you sing a song and dance your heart out. Borderline inappropriate, but pee your pants funny. It made me laugh so hard it was painful. Great man.

I also suckered my best friend Megan into coming up with us the whole week. She hasn't been active in the Church since she was a teenager, so it was great to have her there participating with us. She was a great help too.

The testimony meeting was nice. I gave the girls each a birthday candle and they had till the flame was run down to share their testimonies. (About 6 minutes.) With that and the little talk about what a testimony should be before we began, it went well. No long-drawn-out sob stories about family and friends drama or medical issues and so forth. Real testimonies.
The Spirit was strong and I really grew from it.
I feel relieved it's over though. It was a lot of work. But worth it all the way!

8 comments:

Emily said...

It doesn't surprise me AT ALL that the girls love you!! You are just amazing in so many ways. I'm glad you had such a great time.
::LOVE YOU::

Dalana and Mark said...

There's for sure a reason that you were called to where you are. It sounds like you are AWESOME w/ those girls and are just what they need. It's also great that they can help you a little too in some ways. What a deal! I admire how much you are able to have fun w/ them and understand them. I bet that it was a TON of work, GREAT JOB!

Jennifer P. said...

I have LOVED all those girls too--at least the ones in my class. They were all soooo excited to go on Sunday. Glad they had such a good time. I bet you are an amazing YW leader! I would have loved to be up there to see Bishop Brown sing and dance :)!

If you're still in this calling next year, you'll have to invite me to come up for a night. As you've read, I was always too busy trapsing about Europe during my summers to go. Went once when I was pregnant with Zane, but that wasn't exactly "fun" ;)!

I'm happy you're back safe and sound! See you tomorrow!

Memzy said...

No surprise here. You would be my fave too.

Mikki said...

Thursday night was lots of fun. So glad I could share that with you and the girls. They are all so awesome. I am now officially excited about my calling. You are great and it's fun to see the girls around you.

Now, Bishop wouldn't tell me about the dancing and the song. He was a little embarrassed and glad Elli and I had missed it. So, now you will have to come clean.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda I've just been catching up on your life, I really do love this blogging thing. I posted on mine so if you want you can go see what we've been up to.

Cristin said...

Awww I loved girls camp, but I'm glad as an adult I don't have to go. haha

Looks like fun though and I'm not really surprised the girls love ya so much! I LOVED being in the young womans, it's the best calling!

Anna B said...

It's so good to see that you are being loved and appreciated for all you do for those YW. You are an amazing person. I'm glad it was such a success.