Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Anyone want a hermit crab?

Isn't it gorgeous? Come on people! We decided a few years ago that our children could get a pet when they learned to read. Celeste was the first to get her pet. A parakeet. Sunshine. Lovely bird. Guess who ended up always taking care of Sunshine? Amanda. The whole Sunshine story is an interesting one I'll have to share later. She's no longer with us though.
Then Jonah learned to read. He chose a gold fish despite our warnings that it would probably die within days. He insisted he wanted it anyway. We told him he couldn't get a new pet if his fish died. We all even took bets on how long the fish would live. Guess who won the bet? Amanda. 6 days.
Then Eden learned to read. She chose a hermit crab. She cared so little for this hermit crab that she gave it away to Celeste within a day. And Celeste seems to care even less for it. Guess who has taken care of this hermit crab for months? Amanda. Guess who's tired of it! Amanda.
So does anyone want it? Free of charge. Supplies and all. Please...anyone!?

12 comments:

Hot Pants said...

Don't toy with me. Ella would love it. She did however just get her first pet yesterday. 3 chicks, then Dwight went out today and bought her 2 more.

ManicMandee said...

Chicks??? As in baby chickens? What do you live on a farm!

Mikki said...

Kennedy would probably take it. Her hermit crabs seem to last FOREVER. Which is sad, because she doesn't take the best care of it.

Amber Waite said...

Bring him up when you come to Bakersfield for the wedding. I'll take him for sure, unless of course you've already found a home for the little guy. I've actually thought about getting one before, might be kind of fun.

eekareek said...

The name alone grosses me out. I have a dog that I can only pet with my feet. He is being neglected right now because it is shedding season. Does anyone want to take him and then give him back when he is all done shedding??

Jennifer P. said...

OH good--glad there are others wanting it! I'd say we would take it, but I know I'd end up caring for it too (and they kind of creep me out :)!).

Hope you guys find a pet that fits soon enough!

ManicMandee said...

Our crab has a new home. I gave it to Mikki. Thanks Mikki! Sorry Amber. I didn't want to keep it for another month and then take it with us on the trip down there. But you can get one. They are super cheap.

E said...

I can't believe she picked a hermit crab over a bunny, or hamster, or cat, or dog, or... ANYTHING. They may be hours of fun for some kids, but I'm not surprised she lost interest in it. Anyway, I'm glad you found a willing home for him. Every once in a while, I think about getting my kids a pet--something simple. Reading things like this remind me that there really is no such thing. Thanks!

Emily said...

Glad you found it a new home! NASTY!!

Memzy said...

I thought I'd better stay out of it considering my kids have killed 6 pets already.

Anna B said...

Tucker's was dead when we got back from our vacation. I'm sure he would love to have new pet...to torture!

Amber Waite said...

It's all good. I'm glad you found someone to take care of him. I may just have to get one still.