Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

More from our vacation

Are you ready for lots of photos? I hope this doesn't bore you. It was hard for me to not put up more. Here's a bit of this and that. Last night we enjoyed a Family Home Evening with our kids in which we shared all of our photos and stories from this awesome trip.
Me on the Smith family farm. Beautiful place! They were such hard workers. I believe they said the family cleared 30 acres the first year and 60 acres the second year, with an average of 100 trees per acre.
Steve also on the Smith farm with the temple in the background.
Sacred Grove. It's bigger than you'd think. Lots of paths to walk through it. Very quiet and peaceful. There's a special feeling there. Hard to describe adequately. Impossible to capture the beauty of it in photos.
Steve and I in the Sacred Grove.This was the Smith's first log cabin there on the farm. Tiny.
I loved seeing these flowers around. Never seen them before.
This is the Peter Whitmer farm and cabin where the Church was organized April 6, 1830. This cabin is also tiny. They let us tour it and it didn't take long. This is where I heard my favorite story. But you'll have to ask me about it if you want to hear it. It would take too long to write here.
After that meeting where the Church was organized, the group traveled several miles to this lake and many were baptized. Seneca Lake.
We also went and saw the place where they first published the Book of Mormon. That tour was pretty interesting and we learned a lot. No photos though :(
We went to the Hill Cumorah and this is us at the top of the hill and at the base of the monument.
Moroni waving to all the world. You can see the moon near his hand.
Before we left on Sunday we went to Sacrament Meeting with the Palmyra Ward. I fell asleep on Steve's shoulder during the meeting. Oops. Before heading out of town, we had a quick look at the Martin Harris farm. He mortgaged this farm in order to finance the publishing of the Book of Mormon. Now there are a few sets of missionaries living in this house.
We also paid homage to Alvin Smith. Joseph's older brother. This is the front of the headstone. On the back, they kept the original stone. See below.
Original stone. Hard to read. But it says the same thing as the new one. There were gravestones that were close to 200 years old in this cemetery. I love cemeteries. They are so interesting! You find yourself imagining up all kinds of stories about the people buried there. What kind of life they lived, how they were loved, and how they were missed.
Our flight home got delayed and we ended up not getting home until 3am. Steve's parents kept the kids that night again. It made for a sad Mother's Day. I didn't get to see my munchkins till the morning. But I took them out to lunch and we got all caught up. It could have been worse. The weather in Chicago was bad and some flights were cancelled. We made it safely home!
And that's all folks. Keep visiting us!

8 comments:

Mikki said...

I am completely jealous. I need in-laws that will watch my kids so I can go places with my husband. You look so happy. Put up as many pictures as you like, I love them.

Emily said...

I love all those pictures! I feel like I'm there (almost). I'm so glad you were able to go and experience that. I hope to do that someday. You look beautiful and I miss you and can't wait to see you soon!!!!!

Dalana and Mark said...

Thanks for more pictures! I loved them all again. Thanks also for explaining them. I love the pictures of you and Steve together! What a great experience and memory for you guys.

E said...

Cool pictures! Sounds like a fun and interesting trip. How I love History!

Memzy said...

Your pictures are amazing. Especially of the sacred grove. You must have a nice camera. I can't wait to go there someday.

Pearl Girl said...

WOW, your vacation sounds absolutely fascinating. I had idea you could see their old house and walk through the sacred groave and stuff. Now I want to go there.

Anna B said...

Good stuff. Can't wait to hear more stories. Thanks for sharing. Oh and Congrats on you know what...

Jennifer P. said...

I can't believe how beautiful it is there! All those trees!!!

Thanks so much for sharing the gorgeous photos. I feel like we all got to go on vacation with you ;)!

Glad you're home safely and all re-bonded with those kiddos!