Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My reaction to the election

So I'm putting myself on the chopping block here because I am going to discuss my thoughts on the election results. We all know politics can get people who even love each other all emotional and upset with each other. Hope that doesn't happen here. I've got no animosity, so I hope nobody brings it here to my blog.

So we have elected Barak Obama as our new President. And what I've said for months are these things:
1- I think he'll win.
2- I like him as a person, but do not like his policies.
3- His policies get me nervous.

Now that he is elected, I actually am excited to have a black president. But couldn't it have been a black guy with better policies? Maybe this guy?
And by the way, I did watch Obama's infomercial, and did read his website and do all my homework. So I am not totally ignorant on his plans.
The good things about him are:
He's black. (White people are nice too though.) He's young and charismatic. He's got a pretty wife who seems sweet enough and two cute daughters. And a black family in the white house sounds so cool doesn't it. Just say it out loud to yourself and see.
The things I don't like:
His economic plan. He supports abortion. He supports gay marriage. Among other things.

Which brings me to gay marriage. I am glad Prop 8 passed in California. What a mess that was! Here's where I may get people coming out of the woodwork calling me a hatemonger and all that. But guess what? I'm not. I actually like gay people too. Like this guy.

When news broke that Dumbledore was gay, I was literally rolling my eyes. Come on JK Rowling! The books were already all released and the guy is fictional. His sexual orientation was never mentioned in the books at all. But I still love Dumbledore! He's the greatest wizard who ever lived. Fictitiously of course.
I grew up with a lot of gay people being a dancer and all. There are many gay people that I just loved to death! But I don't agree with the institution of marriage being redefined. I don't think that gay couples should adopt children. I don't think it is healthy for a child. But I am sure there are plenty of people out there to argue otherwise. And I'll let them. Just don't start getting all mean to me about it. K?
Like my super smart and cool cousin Jenny, I find politics to be fascinating as well. Especially the history of our country and how our government even came to be. Some of my favorite books to read are ones about the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. The hand of God was certainly in the building of our country. And I love it!
Like my other cousin who I barely know but I am sure is also smart and cool- Cathe, I am extremely grateful to be an American and for the great blessing it is to live in this time in this land.
So I am gonna put on a happy face and carry on and hope that our Constitution and the values our country was built on can remain in tact.
And my next post will be completely non-political! Thanks Ask Memzy for the advice. I'm thinking about it and will do.

14 comments:

Markie23 said...

Watching the news this morning I realized that while I rolled over unsatisfied last night, the rest of the nation seems to have had a collective orgasm.

ManicMandee said...

Orgasm?

Jennifer P. said...

I think you echoed my sentiments perfectly. I had so much to say about it all-- I just couldn't say it!

Now's the time, I guess, just to pray.

If you ever want a FABULOUS read about the history of our country, just google the word "providence". SUCH an amazing word with an amazing concept (one of my favorites!)--and it use to be such a part of America.

Anyway--I'm with you: Bill Cosby for president! (or maybe Wayne Brady?! :) ).

Jennifer P. said...

I can't believe the word orgasm is up on your comments! Too funny!

E said...

M--Was Cherie unsatisfied too?

Yeah, I'm super excited to have a black president, and I can wait to see the positive social changes that come with it. Plus, I suddenly feel cooler. I don't agree with his key policies, but I'm also not worried that the country will fall apart because of them. I hope his plans work, if not, we'll bounce back later.

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is an excellent civil war novel. It even won a Pulitzer.

Markie23 said...

Cherie was also unsatisfied; in the election of course.

Carrie said...

Nice post. You said a lot of things that I was scared to post myself, so you ought to be proud.

ShelBailey said...

Prop 8 hasn't passed yet...as of 10 am this morning, it's still too close to call it. It's ahead by a very tiny margin with 95% of the precincts in. In depends TOTALLY on where the unreporting precincts are.

eekareek said...

Markie and Jenny, you gize are totally grossing me out.

This presidential election seemed a little like voting for the lesser of two evils. The decision has been made and even though I did not vote for Obama, I am wanting to support him and I am excited to have a black man as a president (is that racist?). Time will tell how our country will be but in the mean time I am going to get going on my food storage.

Memzy said...

I could have SWORN I left a comment on here earlier toay. Did you delete me? Just kidding.

And yes Eekareek, that totally makes you racist. ::giggle::

Emily said...

Way to sum it up!!

Robyn said...

Here is my philosophy on the gay issues: Life is short and love is rare. I think you should take it and cherish it NO MATTER where it comes from.

Thank you. I'll step down now.

ManicMandee said...

Robyn,
I have no problem with you feeling the way you do about gays. Like I said, I do like gay people. Love some of them in fact. I don't think government has the right to tell anyone who to love and not to love. (And I must say that love isn't as rare as you think it is. Trust me.) I don't think government has the right to take anyone's rights away as long as those rights don't hurt or infringe on the rights of others. Complicated I know. Having said that, there are various legal implications that take away the rights of the majority if gay marriage is approved. Adoption is one of those issues I discussed. There are others. But I wont get into the details. It's an emotional topic and there are so many layers to it.
Hope my comment here doesn't bother you. I am not bothered by yours. We both know that we have different beliefs in various things. But it doesn't keep me from thinking you are a great person and I consider you to be a fantastic friend! Love ya.

ManicMandee said...

One more thing.
Obviously there are issues in which one side of the party will feel their rights are being infringed upon and so that is why we vote on things. We must go with the majority to be fair.