Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Stay Out, Stay Alive

That's what it reads on a sign at the mouth of the canyon where the Kern River is. The Kern River is located in California and runs through much of Bakersfield. It is a famous river among rafters and kayakers looking for a thrill worldwide. The image below is of a serene part of the Kern River. There are lots of serene parts and lots of white water parts. Day #1 of our trip was driving to Bakersfield. All went well other than the kid vomiting all over themselves and their seat. It looked like cottage cheese and I was gagging as I was cleaning it up. Someone always seems to get car sick during our trips.
***
Wikipedia states that there have been currently 250 deaths in the Kern River since 1968. And guess who got baptized here?

I'll give you a hint: What's cooler than a hippie?

A Mormon hippie.

This is how Day #2 of our trip started:
That's right, my cool brother in-law Scott got baptized. That's my Dad baptizing him. Scott and Molly were married in June. We are all so excited he has joined the Church! What's even better is he has a firm testimony of his own and he's committed. We are so proud and excited for him and Molly! He's a very earthy guy so this was a natural choice for him to do it in a river...even in late November.

More to come on our trip tomorrow. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

I remember the post about their wedding and thinking what a cool, laid-back kind of guy he looked like! That is just too wonderful that he made the choice to be baptized! Happy for him, your sister, and your family!

Jennifer P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hot Pants said...

I've been waiting for one of you guys to do a post about this. Thanks

E said...

What a bummer that I missed it! I came so close.

Memzy said...

1. Heart your new sidebar pics and the colors of your site look PERF!
2. That was a very memorable baptism. I'll never forget it.
3. So good to see you.

ps. still no internet

Hazel said...

Burrr. I guess you really have to love nature to do that. I was complaining about the cold water in the stake center font. It was late March and going out with wet hair...you know. Good for him though. He and Molly are so cute together.