Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Host Post

So today the Smart Remarks Book Club is having their official book club meeting. Which means all are to post their own reviews of this month's book. I read this book back in May and posted a review then. I am just going to re-post that post. Couldn't hurt right? Besides I only got like 4 comments on it. Plus I don't know how I got welcomed into a book club called "Smart Remarks" because I am not good at making my own smart remarks. But I joined because the people in the club are super smart and super funny and super cool and super. So there you go. Here is my recycled book review. You all have to know that I will definitely enjoy your reviews. You smarties, you.May 30, 2008. Sick of my reviews? Sorry. You get another one anyways. I just finished listening to The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I give it a 3.5* out of 5*. I haven't ever been into sci-fi books, but this one was pretty entertaining. I got a lot of yard work done and my closet cleaned all while being happily entertained. I thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight Series that Stephenie wrote, but I have to say I didn't think this book was as great. I do believe it was better written in some ways, but not a better story. Make sense?
Favorite Parts ranked:
#3rd favorite part of book: Stephenie Meyers impeccable way of creating and getting you all emotionally involved in bizarre love triangles. (See Twilight Series for another example.) This one actually was more like a weird love square rather. It was laughable at times.
#2nd favorite part: The kissing. Yeah, I'm like that. I love kissing and hearing about great kisses. #1 favorite part: The disclaimer at the end of the audio book explaining to the listeners that this story was all a figment of Stephenie Meyer's imagination. Don't panic people! The world is not coming to an end at the hands of freaky aliens. Classic.

10 comments:

Memzy said...

I kept wondering how she was going to figure out the wrap up at the end! And then she did it! Loved the book

Cristin said...

My #1 is her kissing scenes! She knows how to write 'em. :)

Jennifer P. said...

I should probably read all the stephanie myers books before I attempt a career in writing, eh? Everybody that's read them has loved them---I've just been afraid to start because I KNOW I will get totally sucked in and not be able to function until I finish them. I'm horrible that way.

Thanks for the review though! I love when people review books! THen I ALMOST feel like I've read them.....

Are we still on for tomorrow night? I'm looking forward to it whenever it happens to be :)!

E said...

Hey! I totally posted a comment on your review but it's not here. I said something brilliant like, "Stephenie Meyer should write a book of just kissing scenes--leave out all that boring in-between stuff."

And about "Smart Remarks" book club, I'll need a commitment from you right now that you'll join. It's very formal. Seriously. OK, OK, just join in on the reading fun whenever you like! It's very laid back and cool. And my glasses are prescribed. They're very thick, in fact.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

These comments look old... I wonder if you will ever read this...

Anyway, you nailed it right on the head. It's better written but a weaker plot. Maybe Stephenie's next book will be the perfect storm of both!

Memzy said...

I reserve the right to change my mind.^^

And you are a smarty pants too Amanda.

Markie23 said...

Those were pretty Smart Remarks!

Cristin said...

Ha!! I was going to recycle my old one...maybe I should have just done that. LOL

I still think the kissing scenes are #1

I agree it was better written but I think she wrote it more than she should have, I honestly think alot of the "extra" stuff was for her personally and could have been left out.

E said...

Can I recycle my comment? Whoa, what? It's already up there? This is crazy. How did you do that? And what's with Memzy's comment? Yeah, S. Meyer should write an entire book of just kissing scenes, but I think I already said that. I'm grimacing.

Robyn said...

I really miss you in our book club. I picked our last book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire. It was OK. It was a twist on Cinderella.