Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Manic Mandy

So yesterday I went on a field trip with Celeste's 4th grade class to the State Fair. As a side note, she goes by her middle name "Celeste" at home, but insists on going by her first name "Anna" at school. Quite complicated I must say.
We had a great time! I was assigned to keep track of 5 girls; my little Anna Celeste being one of them. The girls wanted to go over to a reptile adventure show. So we got there early and sat in the front row. Soon a huge crowd was gathered and the show began. This guy brought out all kinds of nasty animals. Giant snakes, alligators, and a giant snapping turtle. When he brought out the snapping turtle as part of his grand finale, he asked that the crowd scoot back and that nobody try to touch it because it could bite their arm off. It was a vicious thing! He lugged the thing out of the tent, grunting the whole way. It was snapping all over the place, but he was using his expert skills to keep from getting his arm ripped off. Then he says, "Can I get a strong Utah mother to come up here to volunteer for the photo op of a lifetime?" Nobody raises their hands... except for Manic Mandy. Her arm actually shot way up quickly. Manic Mandy is who I call the girl who comes out of hiding every now and then out of nowhere. Here she is. Manic Mandy's eyes got cut out of the shot because they looked creepy. She also had a little bit of a tough time lifting "Spartacus" off the ground. He weighed about 120 lbs we were told and did not really want to be lifted up by Manic Mandy. But she did it anyways.
The rest of the time Manic Mandy was like a celebrity at the State Fair. Complete strangers were pointing her out and calling her the Turtle Lady. She even offered to sign autographs. People were quite impressed that she would even volunteer to touch that beast.

13 comments:

Pearl Girl said...

DITTO on your way cool sis. She is my favorite SIL for sure. and my fav. lil sis, since when the fam. gets together there is finally someone younger than me. (by 6 months)

I am so glad to know a celebrity, I don't think I would touch that thing, and I really don't think I could lift it either.

Vegas Family said...

That looks like a mean turtle and a very brave Manic Mandy!
A Big High Five to you!

Anonymous said...

CRIKEY! Look at the size of that beauty!!

Jennifer P. said...

WOWZA AMANDA!!! That is sooooo cool!!!! I bet you will never, ever regret doing that! And a picture of it all to boot! Coolio :)!

And whoever made the steve erwin comment---ha! ha!

Memzy said...

I am soooper impressed. Not as much about the turtle part but about the 120 pounds part. You are BUFF Manic Mandy!

Hot Pants said...

I am a big fan of Manic Mandy. I love it when she comes out, especially if it is to play dance dance revolution.
I was once a celebrity in vegas. Good times.....

ShelBailey said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Meghan was REALLY impressed, her mom would NO WAY be wrestling a 120 lb anything.

eekareek said...

Manic Mandy is always a good time. I can only hope that I will be a celebrity at a state fair. Hmmm corn dogs.

E said...

Hmm, I love Manic Mandy. She's funny.

willmottfamily said...

Amanda, guess what? I tracked down Grant... SERIOUSLY. I found his blog, well, I found Aaron's (who married Sarah Daniels) and it linked to both his and Ben's blogs. Ah, crazy to think of the good old days. Anywho, I am emailing you the blog address.

Anonymous said...

Holy freakin' cow, that is so awesome, I would have done it in a heart beat...I am proud of you!

Robyn said...

Can I have your autograph?! That is so cool! I would have raised my hand too to get a pic with that beast. He is totally giving you the eye and the size of that mouth! I bet he is thinking that you look delish!

TimW8 said...

Isn't that a Bangel's song? "Just another manic mandy..."
I'm glad you still have both your arms so you can raise 'em up and holla girl!!