Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Really Spiritual Experience

Last night we had the adult session of our stake conference. It was a fantastic meeting. The Spirit was so strong and the entire program was exceptional. I cried several times and people all around me were sniffing and wiping tears from their eyes. Even men. Anna led the choir and it was gorgeous! I was so proud of my big sister. I left there with a stronger testimony and feeling completely motivated to live better.

Today was a little different. Call me a sinner, but I didn't feel a whole lot. It was a broadcast for all the stakes in our county. We met at our regular building. It was just our ward and one other ward there. However, I think there were many who skipped out on it because our ward alone can totally fill the chapel and cultural hall. This group was no bigger than it normally is. Each week we have been blown away by the noise level during Sacrament Meeting. Each week I just have to laugh. I figure the average age in our new ward is roughly 5. It's like the children have taken over. If they only knew they WAY outnumbered us adults, we'd be in huge trouble. I guess we already kind of are. Of course our kids contribute to noise. Don't get me wrong! But my goodness...

This week Steve decided to sound record a snippet of stake conference. Here is a sampling for you. And trust me, it's noisy like this every week. And some moments are much louder. Sometimes someone may have their child totally freaking out, but since it's already sounding like a circus in there, they see no reason for taking their child out. And I'm with them on that one.

The image on there is just one of my old Sunbeams. Steve put it on there for something to look at. But you get the idea of what our Sundays have been like lately.

12 comments:

Hot Pants said...

Obviously your mind wasn't on the meeting if you are recording and giggling (I can hear Steve giggling a bit in the back ground)I'm suprised Jenny didn't think to start recording when the faerie got up to bare it's testimony. Sure makes church more entertaining huh?

E said...

You're not alone. Our Ward is super loud, and we are totally overrun with children! Last Sacrament meeting was devoted to the topic of NOT allowing your kids to run up to the mic and "bear their testimony." It was so out of control the month before.

Our Sacrament meeting is last (which is part of the problem) and while we were all shuffling into the chapel last Sunday, a woman's voice came over the mic and said, "Excuse me, excuse me everyone! Can you all QUIETLY find your seats. Thank you." Everyone turned to stare at her, even the bishop, and then the noise level went right back to where it was. I was cringing on her behalf. That's some nerve, and a horrible way to address the problem. And from here on out, everyone is going to keep close tabs on the amount of noise her kids contribute to the problem. So, whatever you do, don't go up to the mic and reprimand the entire ward--not that you would, unless you were on Ambien.

ManicMandee said...

How can your mind be on the meeting if you can't hear it?

Elli said...

I think you're just used to our little ward with our little primary and our tiny youth group! Who's going to make noise? The old ladies? Connie talked about missing you in her testimony meeting today... it made us all miss you! I have to admit, the picture of your old sunbeams is one of my favorites!

Markie23 said...

We had the same broadcast you did in our Stake Conference today. I love Elder Packer, but that was one of the most rambling talks I have ever heard. I'm still not sure what it was about. Our meeting was also very noisy, but I admit that at some point during Elder Packers talk I was grateful for the distractions. There was one cute little kid who at least provided some entertainment for those around her.

Cristin said...

HOLY CRAP that's noisy. haha But I have to say I prefer kid noise then being the only one with a noisy baby. Back in the day when it was just 3 of us, we were in a retirement ward, we were the ONLY ones with a baby and every little noise he made, heads would turn, it made us a little self conscious.

Memzy said...

How come Anna never mentioned this before?

Mikki said...

I think that is hilarious that Steve recorded it. My parents ward is just as bad. I cringe sometimes when we visit. I think we are kind of spoiled sometimes by not having a lot of young children, although Carter on a bad day could make as much noise as 50 kids. I especially enjoy it when he yells while they are passing the sacrament.

My last post, I'm just a little disappointed in my son's YM leaders right now.

Anna B said...

To bad you weren't in our meeting. Trent was playing Dentist in the lobby, pulling Blythe's tooth. It was GREAT!

eekareek said...

I never notice the noise level. I am too busy coloring.

Jennifer P. said...

Sounds like the ward I should move in to :)! We'd fit RIGHT IN!

That was too funny!

willmottfamily said...

AMEN. Our last stake conference was the same way for me... adult session AWESOME, general session not sure, I was too busy with the kids, pacing the halls, etc.