Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Well it's happened, I'm 30 now.

I was about to put Tim McGraw's "In My Next 30 Years" on my playlist and couldn't bring myself to do it. I decided I had to go with this little number playing now to celebrate my 30th birthday because I can't hear it without wanting to do a jig. It's such a happy song!
But I am looking at this birthday as a new start. What I truly want this year is something special. I want from myself a commitment to be a much better person from here on out. I want from my husband and children a commitment to be a better family. This has been something I have been cooking up in my mind for months. . . a desire to be and do much better. So I insisted every time Steve asked me what I wanted for my birthday that I didn't want anything that he could buy. Finally a week or two ago, I dropped the bomb. I told him how I wanted his help in leading our family in some new goals. (Of course I've got a specific plan, but who of you would be interested in getting your pants bored off of you by hearing it?) Well, this morning he hands me this
I open it and it's one of those music cards that sings to you when you open it. The lyrics sing out "Every road that I've been down, the only truth that I have found, there's only one thing I can't live without: You."
Inside he tells me all kinds of gloriously sweet things that make me want to cry. Among them he says "I'm going to work hard to make and lead the 'better' Bishop family." Yay! I got what I wanted. I'm excited and happy.
It's gonna be a great day, a great year, a great rest of my life. I'm so blessed.

17 comments:

Mikki said...

Happy Birthday!!! I think I said that a few days ago as well. But Happy Birthday again. Have a great day.

Hazel said...

Happy Birthday! I think I am going to wait for 40 before I make any improvements. I don't think I could get it together in time for 30.
"I've got to dance..." Thank you for the grooving song.

Emily said...

Happy Birthday to the best sister! I hope you have a great day!

Here's to your next 30 years...

TimW8 said...

Happy Birthday Amanda, You know Brenda and I look up to you and Steve. You're a great sister, mom and example to all of us. I hope you get everything you want on your birthday!

Shed said...

HAPPY BDAY SISTER! I hope you enjoy the $500 gift card I gave you.

Jennifer P. said...

Happy, happy Birthday Amanda dear! Happy days will come to you all year. If I had one wish then it would be, a happy, happy birthday to YOU from ME :)! (gee, they should make that into a song or something...).

That was an amazing thing to ask for as a gift. I highly recommend anything by the Eyre's (www.valuesparenting.org) if Steve needs any help setting those goals ;)!

Have a GREAT day and a GREAT year!!! Love ya!

Hot Pants said...

Happy Birthday! I meant to tell you last night incase I forgot today, but luckily you did a post:) That is a tough gift you asked for. It is hard to improve perfection!

Robyn said...

Happy Birthday, Amanda! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Robyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShelBailey said...

Happy Birthday, Amanda!

We love you!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Happy birthday! Hope you have a great birthday, and have tons of fun with your family.

Markie23 said...

FELIZ CUMPLEANOS - "That's how they say it in Spain"

Dalana and Mark said...

Happy Birthday Amanda! I have thought about you today. Your post was very inspiring. Like everyone else, we think your family is pretty great already! Good luck on all of your new goals though. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from your "colorful" best friend...i wish you the best.

Kendra said...

Happy Birthday Amanda. I remember coming over to your house for a birthday party sleepover and staying up all night it so much fun. I think we were in Elementary school. I hope you had a wonderful day.

E said...

Happy Birthday! Not to one-up you or anything, but if I had one wish, I'd wish to end world hunger. I have a special birthday tribute for you I'll have to post later. Hopefully not too late.

Cute pictures of your kids' first day! Glad it went well.

Cristin said...

Happy Late Birthday!!!! It sounds like it was awesome. Your hubby is a sweetie and a lucky man.