Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hobbies Past Present and Future

First off before I get to the hobby talk, I have to tell you all that I have the most wonderful sisters! I've been very sick lately. Today I'm doing a bit better. But Anna came over yesterday and cleaned my house for me. Even brought dinner. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_____________________
Now that I am starting a new hobby, I started thinking about all the things in my past that I was totally gung-ho about doing. I thought, "This is it! I totally want to be a _______!" So I went for it. Some things I worked at for years. Some things just months. Some things I was pathetic at, others I got pretty good at. I just am interested in a lot of things and have dabbled in quite a bit. I was wondering if this guitar thing was going to make the cut.
I thought I'd share with all of you some of those things I dabbled in. I started out trying to put these in order of when I stopped doing them first to last. But I am not sure if I got it all right. There was a period in my life when I was doing a bunch of them at once, and I'm not sure when exactly I gave some of them up.


First: Swimming
Started: As a toddler. Swim team as a kid. Loved it as a teenager.
Gave up: Years ago
Will I pick it up again: Maybe
Do I want to: Mildly
Woodworking.
Started: Junior High. Loved it.
Gave up: After JH but picked it up for a short stint when I was first married.
Will I pick it up again: Not likely
Do I want to: Not really
Chess
Started: Teenager
Gave up: As a teenager
Will I pick it up again: Not likely
Do I want to: No
Tin Whistle
Started: As a teenager when my parents randomly brought one home for me.
Gave up: Months later
Will I pick it up again: No
Do I want to: No

Balloon Animal Making
Started: As a teenager when I decided having a side job as a clown would be awesome.
Gave up: Months later
Will I pick it up again: If needed to for the offspring
Do I want to: If it would really please
Dream Interpretation
Started: In HS when I won the school, then County and went on to the California State Science Fair with a dream interpretation project.
Gave up: Years later
Will I pick it up again: Maybe
Do I want to: It's kind of fun, so maybe.
Cheerleading
Started: High School
Gave up: High School
Will I pick it up again: No way
Do I want to: Not at all
Singing
Started: As a kid in a Magnet Arts School
Gave up: When mom was giving me voice lessons in High School and I got made fun of by a sibling.
Will I pick it up again: Maybe
Do I want to: Yes
Drama
Started: As a kid in plays with my Magnet Arts School
Gave up: My last play was I think "Phantom of the Opera" with the Bakersfield Civic Light Opera at age 16/17
Will I pick it up again: Probably not
Would I like to: Yeah

Tap

Started: In Elementary School

Gave up: My last stint with tap was teaching it as an adult

Will I pick it up again: Not likely
Would I like to: Yeah
Jazz Dancing
Started: Elementary School
Gave up: When I quit teaching as an adult
Will I pick it up again: No
Would I like to: No
Contemporary Dance
Started: High School
Gave up: After I quit college and was a dance major
Will I pick it up again: Maybe
Would I like to: Kind of
Juggling
Started: High School when I was determined an act on Venice Beach would be life's ultimate fulfillment.
Gave up: Never really did. Just don't really practice and have lost my touch
Will I pick it up again: Probably
Would I like to: Yes
Pottery
Started: High School
Gave up: High School
Will I pick it up again: Probably not
Would I like to: Not sure
Astronomy
Started: High School
Gave up: Not sure
Will I pick it up again: Yeah in the next life
Would I like to: Yeah
Rollerblading (Slightly aggressively)
Started: High School
Gave up: When I started having babies
Will I pick it up again: Not likely
Would I like to: Mildly

Piano
Started: I think I was 13 when I started teaching myself
Gave up: When I was probably 13, but took a few lessons here and there
Will I pick it up again: Thought about it
Would I like to: Yes and No. Piano players sometimes turn into music slaves at church.

Sewing
Started: High School with a few dresses and having to sew some things for dance
Gave up: For fun when Jonah was a baby, but still do it when I have to.
Will I pick it up again: If our country gets thrown back into the 19th century because of some economic catastrophe
Would I like to: No
Yoga
Started: Maybe 9 years ago
Gave up: Recently
Will I pick it up again: Probably
Would I like to: Yes
Watercolor
Started: About 5 years ago
Gave up: Probably only about 6 months after my beautiful watercolor kit was given to me for Christmas
Will I pick it up again: Maybe
Do I want to: Maybe

Ballet
Started: Age 10 I think
Gave up: My last class was I think August of 2007
Will I pick it up again: Not sure
Do I want to: Yes
Scrapbooking
Started: Just before I got married
Gave up: About a year ago
Will I pick up again: Probably not
Do I want to: No
Baking and Cooking for fun
Started: When I got married
Gave up: Only do it out of necessity now, not for fun usually
Will I pick it up again: Hope so
Do I want to: Yeah
Reading
Started: When I first got pregnant over 9 years ago
Gave up: Still doing it
Dieting
Started: Obsessing about it years ago
Gave up: About 3 weeks ago
Will I pick it up again: Definitely
Do I want to: I guess

Weight Training
Started: In 2001
Gave up: Still attempting to do it a little
Will I pick it up again: Yes
Do I want to: Yes
Running
Started: In 2006
Gave up: A few weeks ago
Will I pick it up again: Definitely (I think running has been the most fulfilling hobby I have ever had.)
Do I want to: Absolutely

Guitar

Started: Tried for a few weeks as a teenager. Trying again now.

Only time will tell how I'll do with this one. Want to take a guess?

8 comments:

Hazel said...

I think you are going to excel. I think your desire to keep trying says a lot. Seriously, guitar would be cool right? I could bring it to you at parties and ask you to play a song, and you can be embarrassed at frist and then give in...I can pcitre it now...

Emily said...

You HAVE done a lot! I love that about you. You are always trying new things and always trying to improve yourself. Very inspiring and cool.

I'm glad Anna came over to help you. I wish I could do the same. It's stinks being so far away.

E said...

Yikes!! I'm worried for you after reading that! I hope you decide to stick with the guitar (especially since you're gonna be sick for a few months) but if the guitar doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll find something else to pass the time. ;) Good for you for trying new things!

Mary said...

Tried a few of those things myself. I feel like I'm stagnating now, so maybe I should give something a try, huh?

Memzy said...

This is exactly why I don't really try a lot of new stuff. Too afraid I'll quit after awhile. But you have no fear! Sweetness. Good luck with the guitar. That was ONE of the few things I tried and didn't complete. I'm totally embarrassed I didn't stick it out.

ps. I totally remember your juggling and rollerblading phases.

Memzy said...

This is exactly why I don't really try a lot of new stuff. Too afraid I'll quit after awhile. But you have no fear! Sweetness. Good luck with the guitar. That was ONE of the few things I tried and didn't complete. I'm totally embarrassed I didn't stick it out.

ps. I totally remember your juggling and rollerblading phases.

Memzy said...

^^I think my iphone is getting comment happy.

Carrie said...

Good luck with the guitar Amanda!
I have always wished I could play an instrument and give you kudos for getting out and trying.
Stop by because I think you rock and gave you an award.