Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Ziplocs

Today I am feeling a little discouraged. I felt like talking to someone about it. Or blogging about it. Then I decided to stay more positive. I decided to do something good. I got onto Ziploc's website and submitted my story to them. I thought I'd share with you what I just sent them. Hope my story inspires someone out there.
**********************************

Dear Ziploc Company,
I want to share my "amazing story" with you as well. To start I have to express my deep gratitude for your products. They have made the quality of my life infinitely better. I thank God to live in this day and age when I can be here with Ziploc bags. :::singing my praises::: Let me explain.
I am currently 7 weeks pregnant with my 6th child. With each of my pregnancies I have had a condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum. I'll explain it by just copying from Wikipedia. Wikipedia is yet another thing I thank God for. :::singing praises again::: Anyhow, Wikipedia says: "(from Greek hyper and emesis and Latin gravida; meaning 'excessive vomiting of pregnant women') is a severe form of morning sickness, with unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids.[1] [That is without some kind of medical intervention.] Hyperemesis is considered a rare complication of pregnancy... Estimates of the percentage of pregnant women afflicted range from 0.3% to 2%." End of quote.
So basically I puke a lot. Not only that, I puke the entire pregnancy. Although my 2nd and 3rd trimesters are usually significantly better than my 1st trimester! Thankfully.

I learned early on in my first pregnancy that I did not have the strength to go to the bathroom and do my puking in a toilet. At times I couldn't stand much less walk to the bathroom. At times the toilet made me feel all the more sick and I puked even more.
So then I tried to puke in bowls. Soon I learned that was a lot of dishes to worry about and sometimes those bowls accidentally spilled their goods. Not fun.
So in a stroke of inspiration I tried Ziploc bags. And my life improved immensely.

I remember how nice it was when I first started using them! I would just grab a bag and puke in it and zip it up and set it down. I would do this bag after bag until my sweet husband would come home from work and gather up all of the bags to easily toss them all away.
As my condition improved, I was able to move around a bit more. Even go places. I still puked, but I was able to live my life because I had your Ziploc bags always in the pockets of my clothes, in the car, in my purse and handy anywhere I may be. They are most convenient. And they really hold that puke like nothing else could. I know I can trust your Ziploc bags to keep the puke from oozing out anywhere. They are wonderful! Seriously the best thing ever.
I have thought many many times how I have wanted to tell you my story, but haven't done it until now. I would offer my great acting abilities to even do a commercial for you if you like. Actually with me being pregnant and sick now, you could just record me throwing up. No acting needed. And I would even offer my services for free. I owe you that much. Your decision.
My only suggestion to you, would be that you would make bags that aren't clear. I think this would be a great option for people with my condition.
Either way, I love your products and company and thank you for what you have done for me. You are truly a force for good in a very troubled world.
Sincerely,
Amanda Bishop

23 comments:

TimW8 said...

I feel your pain Manda. I threw up two days ago for the first time since my surgery because I ate my french fries too fast. Luckily, this is only the 3rd time I've thrown up in 20 years. I hate throwing up. So I only need one of those really small snack size ziplock bags.
Anyways I'm sorry about your vomiting but try and keep your chin up and a ziplock close by.

Swasey family said...

Can I just tell you how much I love you!!I hope the morning sickness gets better!You poor poor thing!! You are so strong!This story was amazing I LOVED it!!!!

E said...

Bags of vomit. Not getting a good visual. Don't know if that's commercial material. So, do you gain barely any weight, and if so, is it worth it?

Elder Jack Anderson said...

My SIL used to take ziplocs with her everywhere... even the temple. Can you imagine barfing on that perfect carpet???? Nightmare! Plus, I think just knowing you have a "safe place" to barf makes the need to barf more bearable. I always feel better on the bathroom floor when I'm sick for that very reason.

ManicMandee said...

Jenny Extra Special Powers: Nope I still manage to gain an average amount of weight. I've learned some tricks. One is to eat whatever I want as often as possible. No matter how fattening it is. That actually helps me to puke less and I put on weight too. I usually do lose a little weight in the beginning though. I lost 20 lbs in my first trimester with Celeste. But that was before I knew how to deal.

Landee: Um I didn't take a ziploc with me to the temple once when I was pregnant. I never did that again. I don't need to imagine what puking on that beautiful carpet would be like. Been there done that. They had to close down a part of the temple temporarilly because of moi.

Memzy said...

I feel a little sick. BBL.

eekareek said...

I got the flu a month ago and couldn't make it to the toilet and I ended up puking in a giant Huggies Wipe bag and thought of you.

E said...

I don't get morning sickness at all, but I have to eat right when I'm hungry to keep the mild feeling of nausea away. Pretty standard stuff. But I did drop 20 lbs. while prego with Homer.

Memzy said...

^^same. I have to eat like every two hours while preggers.

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

I had no idea ziplocs were so handy to throw up in. I never would have known without this post. . . I'm interested to see if/how ziploc responds. :)

Jennifer P. said...

I was both on the verge of tears and laughing a bit as I read that. I am so sorry that you are sick, and yet so happy for the cause that's making you sick! Mixed emotions!

If Ziploc were smart, they'd find the perfect place to use that story, or at least print it and hang it on their wall somewhere!

Hoping 2nd trimester comes quickly....

Love ya!

Emily said...

There's not a whole lot of things nastier than a ziploc bag full of vomit.

I'll never forget the time we went out to lunch when you were pregnant with Becca (I think) and you just leaned over, barfed in your baggie and went about your business like nothing happend.

You are so awesome. I love your sense of humor and that you can just laugh about your misery.

Hazel said...

That is why I hate being pregnant. I don't have it nearly as bad as you. I don't think I would have done it again if I had, but it is amazing how it is all worth it in the end.

Yeah, I don't think your uses are what is going to sell bags for them, but they should at least send you some free non-clear bags, right?

Diane said...

After daily puking for even 2 weeks I'm amazed you can even OPEN a ziplock! How you ever put up with that for months I hope I'll never know... I also want to send my condolences for little Benjamin, I didn't know.
All my best and congrats on #6!

Markie23 said...

Your story has inspired me to never go dumpster diving again.

willmottfamily said...

You are a riot! This is why I love your blog. I don't check in everyday, but when I do, it is so worth it. I really am impressed by you "super-pukers". My friends Karlene and Lisa are just like you. They puke daily through the whole pregnancy. They, also like you, can puke on the go. I am amazed by this. Last year I was giving Karlene a ride to church and before we left she asked if she could go inside and use my bathroom to puke. 10 minutes later she came out, ready to go to church. I am astounded by this. I am a puking-wimp... 1 puke, and I'm out for days. My heart goes out to you, and I'll pass on the ziplock tip to Karlene. :)

mitzi said...

You are so funny--did you really send that story to Zip-lock?

ManicMandee said...

Yeah, I really did send that to Ziploc.

Memzy said...

Soooo, have you heard back?

Jenalyn said...

Hang in there! But thanks for the laugh. Can I have your autograph? I'm sure the ziploc commercial is going to be a big hit and you'll be famous!! Cool. Love ya!

ManicMandee said...

Memz, Nope haven't heard back yet. But I'll let you all know if I do.

Carrie said...

I love this letter. I feel bad that you have to carry them with you everywhere you go though.
I love that you offered to do the commercial for them!

Robyn said...

That story is hilarious! More so because you actually sent it. Not that puking is funny, but, you know what I mean.

However, I am really sorry that you have to go through that. I couldn't even begin to imagine how horrible that must be. My heart goes out to you (and to Steve for picking up all those pukey Ziploc bags.)