Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pumped

One thing Steve suggested I do to stay positive was to start thinking of goals and things I want to do after the baby is born. And you know what, it really does help! If you know anything about me, you know I love setting goals. And you know that I get excited about what I'm working on and find great satisfaction in the process and accomplishment of them.

So one of those is to train for a marathon and run one by the time my baby turns 1. I cannot wait to hit that pavement again! No, I am not a great runner. But I think I love it as much as the great runners out there do. And that's the beauty of the sport. All people of all shapes, sizes and levels are welcomed with open arms. I've only done one marathon and one half marathon. But I only started running a couple of years ago. But my times were not good. Not good at all.

I joined Netflix over the weekend and quickly ordered some documentaries. I love documentaries. I ordered two about marathons.
The first one was called Marathon Challenge.

Nova took 13 couch potatoes and trained them for a marathon in 40 weeks. Pretty cool! Do I tell you the results? I'll just recommend you check it out if you are interested.

The 2nd one I watched was The Spirit of the Marathon

This followed several people ranging in talent and abilities as they trained for the Chicago Marathon. Also very good.

I cried like a baby during both of these movies. It was so inspiring! But if I'm honest, I think it was just my hormones bringing me to tears.

So I am totally going to run another marathon. And even more than that, I want to one day qualify for the Boston. Yeah, you heard me say the most audacious thing. I want to qualify for the Boston! If you know anything about marathons, you know the Boston is the mother of marathons. To qualify into this race is to not just be a runner, but a good runner. Women of my age need to run a qualifying marathon in 3 hours and 40 minutes to get in. That averages out to be below an 8 and a half minute mile for all 26.2 miles. Do I think I could do that? Within the next year, no way. But within a few years? I think if I wanted it bad enough I could.
Mark my words people...it might take me years, but I want to do it.

Another goal: The ridiculous triathlon.

9 comments:

Memzy said...

My bro ran Boston and he said he LURVED it. He's like this marathon machine. Sickening really. I will never be running a marathon. That's my goal. HA!

Unknown said...

I love running too. I find it therapeutic. I saw the first documentary. I enjoyed it . I keep saying that I am going to run a marathon, but I always seem to let my life get in the way....

Hazel said...

I don't know how you do it. I have never actually tried to push past two miles, but I am pretty sure I would die, but I do love running a mile, if I have a good song to listen to. I actually woke up this morning wanting to run so bad, and brainstorming a way to do with with my two babies in the freezing cold...needless to say...I couldn't think of anything, so I sat.

Anonymous said...

I suppose if you are crazy enough you could do it! You are just so good at accomplishing things like this....if I was to make a goal as big as that I would certainly fail! So my thoughts are with you!

Carrie said...

You can do it! Start with small goals and you will get there!
I will be cheering you on the whole time!

Emily said...

I think you have some great goals and I have no doubt you will accomplish them! You are awesome!

Who knows, maybe if I'm able to accomplish this halfsie I'm doing in March I can train to do a full one with you. Wouldn't that be fun?

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

You are my goal making, running lover, fabulous goal following hero! Wow! Now those are some good goals... I am a bit daunted by your goal reaching abilities. I will totally cheer you on through all your races! Way to be!

(I want to be reaching for a half marathon by the time our little girl is one. With your goals to follow, I'm pretty sure you'll keep me motivated. Thanks!)

Anonymous said...

I know you can do it!!:) I will make a goal with you to try and run (NOT walk) a 10 k. It's no marathon but it's a start. Maybe when you start feeling better you can start going for walks outside. Take care,LeANN

Anna B said...

I htink it's good that your thinking about life after being sick. Cause you're totally going to be there before you know it.