Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Your Much Anticipated Details

So you should be grateful I finally dragged my tooshie out of bed to do this. Today was a really rough day for me. I didn't even make it to church. I felt like I was hit by a truck overnight. Turns out, it was really just a super tiny little creature in my uterus... But after Steve cooked me up 4 eggs over hard with plenty of salt and pepper, it seemed to hit the spot and I am back at the blog. I've been eating all kinds of crazy things lately but I'll spare you the details. Instead I'll give you details on our house! So here is an image of what our house looks like. We didn't get photos yesterday. We will get some later. There is only a 2 car garage on ours though. It's a rambler with a totally finished basement. Here's the main floor plan if you can see it ok.
The basement floor plan they had online wasn't like ours so I didn't bother posting it. But it's got 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a family room down there.
Stats: Square footage 2626 (half of that on main floor, half of it in basement)
Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms: 2.5
The lot is pretty small, but we're ok with it.
There are 2 parks very close. One really nice one. The school we've heard is great and is also a very quick little walk. I'd say the walk to the parks and school are all probably less than 2 minutes?
The house just got done being built. Actually, they aren't totally done, but it's ready to live in. It's not super fancy and doesn't really have any bells and whistles, but it's nice enough. It comes with a complete 1 year warranty on everything and 10 year warranty on some of the features. The builder is rated #1 in customer satisfaction in our state (actually, I think nationwide even,) and we were impressed with a lot of what they told us. It's an Energy Star rated home and seems like it was efficiently built.
It's also really close to a **llmart going in this Spring, 3 dance studios, some restaurants, two pharmacies, another grocery store, and much of what I need. The running here I think will be great too when I get those shoes back on in the Fall. It's about 7 miles to Anna's and 25 miles to Steve's work. Steve decided he wanted to live in this neighborhood a while back and I am happy with that. It was somewhat of a compromise because I didn't want to move far from Anna and he wanted to be closer to work. It's still gonna be a commute, but it will shave off about 20 minutes a day, which was enough for us.
The price was right too. I started doing some hunting about a month ago. I looked at every single house I think there was available in our price range and that fit our criteria. I even joined some online foreclosure and short sale sites to look in that market. I searched for property by owners too. On Friday I scheduled for us to have a showing Saturday at the top 9 houses I found. It was a marathon house shopping day yesterday! This house was Steve's favorite of all of them. He got pretty excited about it. I liked it a lot too. It wasn't my favorite, but my favorite was not in the location he wanted. But now that I've had more time to think about it, I am beginning to like this house better than what had previously been my top pick. This house seemed popular among home shoppers yesterday too. We saw a few couples going through it or interested in it just while we were there. I guess that is what got us to move a little quicker.
The space is a little bit of a concern for me. This is our 4th house we'll have purchased. Our first was 2000sf, our 2nd was 3600 sf, our 3rd 1600 sf, and now this one will be 2600 sf. (All approximates of course.) I didn't want a super big house. It certainly didn't need to be above 3000 sf, but maybe a little more than 2600 would have been nice. But we managed to live in 1600 sf just fine and I think this will work for us as well. We are certainly very blessed to have a home at all and I do remember that.
We feel like we got a great deal on this house. It was cheaper than almost everything we saw and with it being totally new, it was quite appealing. Even most of the old trashed existing homes were priced higher! I could tell you what we paid, but I guess that's getting a little too personal. So if you really want to know, just ask. We're not really private about stuff like that, but I guess I shouldn't be telling the whole world what our house cost and how much we are putting down and all that.
We aren't sure when we'll close and move in. It could be pretty quick if we wanted (like a couple of weeks.) But we think we'll try to take it slow as our lease here in our current rental isn't up until May. We're thinking March. But we don't know yet. We'll probably set a date this week.
Anyhow, that's about it. Hope that satisfies all your questions.

12 comments:

Anna B said...

Good to know. Let me know when I can start helping you pack up.

Carrie said...

So exciting!
I am assuming one of those 5 rooms will be for me and Jim since we are moving in so I can be your personal chef, right?
Congrats!

Hazel said...

I am so happy for you. I have never lived in a new house before. I bet it would be so nice to not have to worry about other peoples grossness all over your house.

I am so excited and curious as to what you paid because I plan on looking for houses soon, and I would like to know what a good deal is. I will survive if you don't tell me though, but my emial is t k morgan at cox dot net without all the spaces and such.

Emily said...

How exciting!! It looks like a great house!

Memzy said...

Sweet! I heart basements.

E said...

Congrats! It's crazy how you can get a better deal on a new house, right? We've only had two houses, but they were both new. It's really nice to have new floors, clean walls, clean baseboards, etc. It lasts a few years, and then everything is dirty again and you'll want to move and start over with clean baseboards.

So is the 2nd bedroom on the main level going to be the nursery?

Swasey family said...

I'm so happy for you!New homes can be so much fun!!Good luck to you guys!!

ManicMandee said...

Jenny Extra Special Powers:
Yeah, that upstairs bedroom is the proposed nursery. All the other 4 rugrats are going below ground. Yipee!

Markie23 said...

Cool, let me know when the housewarming party is!

Mary said...

It sounds great. Good luck on the move!

Cristin said...

YAY I like the lay out especially 4 kids rooms downtairs! I sooooooo wish I were moving into a brand new house. I'd like to know what it's like to buy new. :) So, I'm curious about how much that house costs, I have know idea what the housing market is like there.

Jennifer P. said...

A baby!!!! A house!!!! Holy Canolli girl!...I feel like the worst bloggy friend ever! Took this week off to try and meet some fitness goals and come back to a whole weeks worth of wonderful news.

SOOOOOOOOO happy for you two! I'm optimistic too! And you played Oh L'amour for me, so now I just love you all the more!

Prayers going out for you and all the happiness in your present and future!